New TextEdit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Klaus., Aug 17, 2015.

1. Klaus. macrumors newbie

Klaus.

Hi,
    I'd like to know that is there anyway to create a text file on OS X just like windows? or can we make shortcut for that?
    [​IMG]

2. Klaus. thread starter macrumors newbie

Klaus.

3. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502

5. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

That doesn't create the new file in the folder you happen to have selected in Finder

7. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

In my mind the worst part of OSX vs. Windows is that Notepad isn't a native app. Notepad is freaking awesome. Having said that, TextEdit works just the same as Notepad, only not as good.

Open TextEdit. In the dialog box that opens select "New Document" (hint: it's in the bottom left corner). Type to your heart's content, then Save As (⌘+⌥+⇧+s).

8. Significant1 macrumors 6502

TextEdit is more ala WordPad than Notepad. To make it more Notepad like, change it's setting to be normal text instead of RTF. And have it open an empty document by either disable it in iCloud-Drive or execute this in Terminal:
    defaults write -g NSShowAppCentricOpenPanelInsteadOfUntitledFile -bool false
    To reverse it:
    defaults delete -g NSShowAppCentricOpenPanelInsteadOfUntitledFile

9. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

You can drag text to any folder, from any application, to create a text clipping there.

10. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

No, it does not, but I was not aware that was a requirement, from the OP's request. I suppose that is what Windows does? I'm not conversant with Windows.

I use Pathfinder, like dfausty mentioned above. It provides you a customizable right click menu with "New File" or "New Text File" as options, and it happens where you right click.