new Thunderbolt device ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by New Apple, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Looks an interesting product, but couldn't see the price...Based on what I paid for a 4TB Pegasus (£859 or $1341) Then this thing is going to cost big time. 48TB capable? Only for pros and rich ones at that...I would have liked to buy the R8 but it was out of my price range. That box fully populated is going to cost a mortgage. The Promise stuff has the same pass through capability, and has also got 2 TB ports enabling daisy-chaining.

In that respect, it's upgradeable, I can add another R4 or even an R8 if I win the lottery. I still think Thunderbolt stuff will gradually come down in price as it becomes more mainstream. I a years time I think you will be able to buy an R4 for half of what i paid for mine....Apple are really pushing them now, they even appear on the list of "Things you might want to consider" when you spec your Mac on the store site. For now, TB is expensive...Don't get me wrong though, all the hype about speed is true...The R4 is insanely fast and I can work on video in real time without any hold ups at all.....It's just the price that's holding the technology back at present.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Which product are you referring to?

TurboBox NA211TB
    Attaches All Power of PCIe Cards
    to MBP/iMac
    through Lightning-Fast
    Thunderbolt

or

World’s First Thunderbolt™
    Desktop Storage NS780TB Provides Mass Storage
    and Ultra High-Speed to iMac/MB

??

Looks like vapourware at the moment. No announcement of price or shipping date.

Engagdet:

Price for the PCIe box? I expect it to be high considering this:

http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp

$979

Be aware though that the Magma box does not support graphics cards, if that's what you were hoping for. You can check out the exact compatibility on the page I linked to above. It supports a whole bunch of PCIe RAID, audio and video processing/capture cards.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you're making money with your computer and have invested into PCIe cards that you need to continue using, then it's easy to justify since it should pay for itself very quickly. If you're hoping to use this sort of thing for gaming, even if it did support GPUs, then I would say that would be a bit silly. :)

I want to see faster Thunderbolt and a GPU in a monitor. That would be the ideal solution.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It will come....I was given the T/Bolt cable as a freebie from Apple when I bought my updated iMac....It sat in it's packet on my desk until I bought the Pegasus, but like you say, it's a work tool. I have been surprised at the lack of new products utilising the ports, but they will come....They are just so damn expensive...When you tear down the R4 what have you got? Four fast Seagate drives and a logic board which is T/bolt capable....That's it. Prices will fall, I'm sure....I would have waited, but I needed the storage space and got sick of slow data transfer rates....I work with large files and the Promise is ideal, but you pay a heavy price for it...The profit must be huge!

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You also get a hardware RAID controller, but if we compare the R4 to a similar box from G-Tech, which does not have TB, then it's $800 vs $1149 in the US.

But it's not a like-for-like comparison.

The Promises supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 50, 6, 60 and 10, whereas the G-Tech supports RAID 0 and 5.

The closest I can find quickly is the Caldigit HD Element

It supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 50, 60 and JBOD

http://www.caldigit.com/hdelement/

But you need an empty PCIe slot for its hardware RAID controller card, since it's not integrated into the box, like the Pegasus. Also, it costs £1109 for the 4TB version. The Pegasus R4 cost me £869.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Mine was nearly the same...£859 with a little discount from Apple...Wouldn't be without it now though...:)

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Mine is arriving on the 3rd of July, apparently.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Mine came 2 weeks earlier than the quoted date....With any luck you will get yours early too....It will ruin you in terms of speed and you will really notice the difference when switching to a Mac with a normal HDD....I find myself getting impatient with my MBP, and it has a fast 7200 in it...enjoy your Pegasus!!:)

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I ordered it with other goodies and a new rMBP, which has delayed the entire order. Luckily, I've ditched mechanical drives for OS and apps a long time ago. I'll be using the Pegasus to capture video from my Thundberbolt Blackmagic thingie that arrived last week.