New Thunderbolt Display listed on Apple.com

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HCEG, Jul 20, 2011.

1. HCEG macrumors newbie

New 27" Thunderbolt Display has been announced!:)

2. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Ships in 6-8 weeks from apple au site.

But they added firewire 800 port!!! this tempts me. though it's still glossy..

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

6-8 weeks in the UK, too. :(

• a FaceTime HD camera
    • high-quality audio
    • three USB 2.0 ports
    • a FireWire 800 port
    • a Gigabit Ethernet port
    • Thunderbolt port for daisy-chaining additional high-performance devices

Ethernet? Interesting!

4. HCEG thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a first - it is cheaper than the old model too, coming in at £899 instead of £918.

Well, they CAN afford it!

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I wonder if they will continue to sell the non-thunderbolt display. It is still listed at the store, at the same price as the Thunderbolt Display, kind of weird.

6. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

This is huge. the lack of firewire port on the new MBA will be solved with this display. The single thunderbolt port carries the audio, usb, firewire and not sure about ethernet. But less cables are always good

7. HCEG thread starter macrumors newbie

I think we have discovered an error - tried to order the new display and it reverts back to the old model - a little :apple: hiccup methinks!

8. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I guess the Ethernet port is there so you can plug a CAT5 permanently into the back of the monitor and feed this connection to your MBP via Thunderbolt.

Less plugging in to get started. Liking it.

9. Heavertron macrumors regular

Just what I was waiting for. It acts as a docking station, so I only have to unplug magsafe and thunderbolt from my MBP when I go mobile. Excellent!

Also good for MBA users to get wired gig-ethernet with no crummy dongle. This just improved the MBA's connectivity big time.

10. negativzero macrumors 6502

Nice product, but poor execution I feel. Apple should have gone with an LED display instead of sticking with LCDs. Slimmer, lighter and overall fewer parts to take care of, not to mention less power consumption.

11. Heavertron macrumors regular

This is an IPS panel...

12. Sarmiento macrumors member

If they are running gigabit Ethernet through the single thunderbolt port this is huge for MacBook Airs. Plus you get FireWire and three USB's. Nice!

The lack of gigabit Ethernet was preventing me from upgrading to MBA's because I have a NAS at home.

13. dgr macrumors member

A display that is incompatible with everything but 2011 Apple products. :mad:

14. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Why no mDP? :confused: Can't even use it with a Mac Pro.

15. Heavertron macrumors regular

^ so you have to buy a new Mac Pro.

Showing as £529 for the Thunderbolt display on this page:

http://www.apple.com/uk/displays/

Bottom right of page. "Buy the Apple Thunderbolt Display. £529." Link shows £899 price though.

16. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

It uses LED backlights. LCD is simply the panel technology that all flatscreens use (apart from plasmas).

You're getting confused with CCFL backlights, which are the fat ones.

17. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Finally, a decent use of thunderbolt.

Since Firewire is now possible for the Air, I might sell my MBP and get one.

18. Dizzler macrumors regular

EOL Apple?

I was waiting for the new equipment to replace my dying display. Now I have to get EVERYTHING new? No thanks, Apple.

19. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

There's no such thing as a "LED display", unless perhaps you're talking about those large displays you see at sports arenas and other venues used to show billboards, commercials and scrolling text or such.

If you're talking about OLED, that's a long way off yet. For starters any decently sized OLED display is crazy expensive (Sony has a 12" OLED TV for something like $2000, and there's pretty much ZERO models available commercially with a larger screen).

Second, OLED wears out... Fast. Especially the blue subpixels, meaning colors will get all screwed up after a couple years of use, and you'll get irritating "burn-in" (although it's technically wear of the pixels) of any graphics elements being shown, like windows borders and so on.

Wut? Like the cinema display isn't slim enough already? And how does weight factor into it? It sits on your desk - presumably anyway. Or do you haul your monitors around a lot? I hear there's a thing for that, called a "laptop computer". ;)

Power consumption is debatable. OLED isn't particulary efficient today, and power consumption gets quite high when showing bright imagery (since each pixel is a discrete emitter of light, power draw therefore varies with light intensity.) A white browser window is going to burn quite some wattage on a big screen, just like it does with LED-lit LCDs.

20. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I'm not so sure about that. The page certainly doesn't say as much, and thunderbolt is backwards compatible with displayport, so the thing should work just fine with an older mac.

21. munakib macrumors 6502

but they intentionally screwed mac pro (2009) users by not including the miniDP option.....leave it to apple and their ignorant "technological" advancements.

System Requirements
    Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac

22. dustinsc macrumors regular

I hope 3rd party hardware makers also take advantage of TB to make some awesome hubs. The only thing this lacks is an audio out of some sort. I don't think the display's speakers would quite cut it.

23. dgr macrumors member

One of the system requirements says:

24. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

I'm a little confused how you would have a dual screen setup with a MBP as the display only has one Thunderbolt port. There is no way to daisychain from one to the other.

iMac has two Thunderbolt ports, but then again, that wouldn't be daisychaining the displays.

25. 537635 macrumors 6502

A really great accessory for the new Air. The only thing missing - USB 3.0. With that on-board this would be the ultimate docking station.