Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemike68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Hi all,

I currently have a mac mini and will soon purchase a MBP and Thunderbolt display. My question is, if the mini is connected to the thunderbolt display and hardly ever turned off and I want to hook up the MBP to the thunderbolt at the same time, how does this work? Will it ask me if I want to view the mini or the MBP or will I have to turn off one of the computers. Thanks,

Nov 28, 2010
located
You pull the Thunderbolt plug (coming from the display and going into the Mac mini) from the Mac mini and put it into the Thunderbolt port of the MBP.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
The monitor does not support more than one computer being connected to it at a time due to the one Thunderbolt cable. So, as mentioned by the OP, you'll have to disconnect and reconnect.

You should just plan to use Screen Sharing (System Preferences->Sharing->Screen Sharing) from the mini to the MBP so that you can access and control the MBP from the mini/TBD. Granted you won't have it as a secondary monitor for the MBP, but my hunch was that you only wanted to use the MBP with the TBD in single monitor mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.