New Time Capsule come with a strange folder.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matrix07, Mar 18, 2014.

1. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

When I click on my newly acquired Time Capsule I expected to see blank window in Finder. Instead I see this folder:

[​IMG]

Is this normal?

2. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 601

matrix07

Glad to hear.

Thread closed. :D

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Funny, I've had multiple Time Capsules and have never seen a folder already on the drive. Is this something new with the ac version? I have the immediate previous version right now and I don't remember any such thing. AFAIK the drive was empty.

4. JayMBP macrumors regular

I've had two new AC and both had the same folder.

5. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 601

matrix07

Logically it should be like that, but strangely that's not my case. I thought someone messed with mine before I was back home. :(

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Logically, a ready-to-use NAS will have an existing folder set up (created and configured for sharing over the network) from the manufacturer. It's the only way the device is able to present itself to users over the network for access; whether performing backups or generic file sharing.

Otherwise, a user would need to access the device directly to setup the initial folder(s) for network file sharing. The initial folder already existing is what makes the Time Capsule plug and play. Time capsules have come with a "Data" folder preconfigured since the original generation.

I haven't done it for a while, but there used to be a tab in the Airport Utilty that let you reset the default share folder name but required the device to be reformatted...IIRC.

7. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 601

matrix07

Oh... :eek::eek::eek:

Thank you for making it very clear. I have no doubt now. :p

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

IMHO it's just Finder that presents it as a folder.
    Actually, Data is the name of the volume created by default on TC disk:
    [​IMG]
    In reality, it becomes mounted as /Volumes/Data mountpoint, so from OS X's viewpoint, it is a folder.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

OK that makes sense. It is a partition named Data, not a folder named Data. I knew that none of my TC's came with a folder already on the disk unless I was losing my mind (no, don't say anything!). And if there was a folder present and you clicked the Erase Disk… button above the folder would be deleted. Thanks.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

What is so funny about his Time Capsule having a folder in it and your's did not?

11. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 601

matrix07

I think you nailed my confusion. If Finder present it as a volume like it *did* on my desktop, I wouldn't be confused.
    But then again, if I saw *Data* on the sidebar of Finder instead (or in addition) of *Time Capsule* I might be confused anyway.

hmm....

12. danny_w macrumors 601

"Odd" would be a better word...