New time capsule DOA investigation. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dugbug, Jul 7, 2013.

1. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Just got one of those new-fangled tower of Orthanc time capsules and it has the strangest behavior:

Sometimes you plug it in and the LED turns green and we are good for about 20 minutes or so before the LED goes off.

Sometimes you plug it in and ... the LED stays off. When the LED decides to turn on (and thus the router work for a few minutes) is seemingly random.

No amount of troubleshooting could get the LED on when I called Apple. They hinted they are investigating this problem, so I'm curious: Anyone with an Orthanc unit had it just power off and die?

-d

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

I think you mean 5th generation Time Capsule since Apple never made a Orthanc unit. Yes I am aware of the reference to LotR but am a technical person and believe in calling things by their name, its just simpler for everyone that way. Plus at being only 6.6" I don't think it qualifies.

Since Apple hinted/admitted that there was an issue did they offer to replace it? If not you should call back and get them to replace it to verify if it is a hardware or software issue. If it gets replaced and the problem goes away then great. If the problem persists it is likely a software issue that can be fixed with a firmware update.

3. dugbug thread starter macrumors 65816

dugbug

Do you try to fix the backwards R on the toys r us?

They wanted to replace it, it was a matter of getting to an apple store, which I was not able to do for a few days. Didn't say what they thought about it, just apologized and said new hardware and all. Its problematic though that you cannot update the firmware if it will not turn on reliably.

During a moment of functionallity I did update it to firmware 7.7.1. However it had misbehaved prior to loading that build (i.e. it had turned itself off and I fiddled with different outlets and whatnot, then it decided to work again).

So it came with 7.7 and I upgrated it to 7.7.1 and both exhibited the same problem.

I don't really know more than that. Damn weird that it would suddenly decide to work fine for a few minutes.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Touché :D I really LOLed.

If it is a known hardware issues they should ship a replacement to you on their dime. Since we are not their beta testers new hardware should not be an excuse. I hope you at lest have your old router so you are not completely unplugged from the Internet.

5. dugbug thread starter macrumors 65816

dugbug

oh of course :) I have like 5 of them.

Since it worked out that the unit can be taken to a store very easily next week we just skipped the shipping bit. I thought Id ask them to plug the unit in before we walk away with it

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Good idea, you might also have them install the latest firmware while your there and inquire about any firmware version that has yet been released to the public. Though I doubt they would know that at a retail store.