New Time Capsule: Dual Network, ONLINE FILE SHARE, and guest networking.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by canyonblue737, Mar 3, 2009.

1. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

The new Time Capsules are here:

1. Dual networking. You can run N on 5.0 ghz and at the same time run A/B/G whatever on 2.4 ghz for legacy devices such as the iPhone. No speed hit.

2. Easy to use guest mode which will open up one of the frequencies for use as a password less (optionally you can add a password) access to the net but locking off your computers, printer etc. on the other encrypted frequency. Great for having friends over and getting them on your network without having to open it up to attack or having to give out huge passwords for them to enter.

3. If you have MobileMe then the new Time Capsule FILE SHARES EVERYTHING OFF THE ENTIRE DRIVE TO THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if we can stream iTunes etc.?

2. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

I so want one of these! But i don't see the point in having an adsl router, which i then have to connect into this in order to use it as a wireless access point! If apple where to add the capabilities into it for it to function as an adsl modem/router combo, i would buy it in a flash!

I don't need anymore clutter!

3. Arkangil macrumors regular

Is Time Capsule basically an Airport Extreme with build in hard drive? I'm a little confused as to the difference in the lines.

4. Arkangil macrumors regular

Hmm, I like that. I am thinking I will finally make the switch to Mac. Trying to decide between an mbp or a new iMac. I do have a 250gig Seagate external now, but maybe I'll get rid of that in favour of Time Capsule.

So, basically, it acts as my airport extreme, and my backup harddrive for time machine as well? Can it support sharing printers? I have two printers as well. Can I access what is on time capsule from another computer, like my wife's PC laptop?

Big newb here, in case you couldn't tell!

5. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,

I already have a 500GB Time Capsule - what are the chances of some/all of this new functionality becoming available in a software update? Has anyone seen anything which would rule this in or out?

Thanks,
    Craig.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes

Yes. It only has one USB port, so you'll need to use a powered USB hub to connect multiple printers. You can also connect additional USB drives, too.

Yes. It's easiest if you use the CD that comes with it to install Bonjour on the Windows computer. That will make using the shared drive and printers easier.

Check out its page in the Apple Store, .. they've highlighted a lot of info about it:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB764?mco=MTY1ODc4MA

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Sounds like a hardware feature.

Why couldn't this be done as a software feature? I.e., if you use the guest password your access rights are limited?

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yes, it's essentially identical other than the hard drive.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

That is a software feature. There's no need for two radios to do that. I have been doing that on my WRT54G for a year or so. You simply broadcast multiple SSIDs.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That is what I would have thought . . . maybe we'll see Airport Utility updates later today . . .