New Time Capsule, Flashing Amber.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by orvn, Aug 15, 2012.

1. orvn macrumors 6502

So I got this new 2TB Time Capsule and I've yet to set one up before. Naturally I read the (limited) instructions in the manual and Googled around, but I have several questions and figure they would be better answered here.

I did the basic setup for my Time Capsule via its own wireless network.
    Right now it's connected to my modem+router (single device which I will refer to as 'the router' from here on in).

- The capsule is connected via ethernet to the router. I am using one of the LAN ports in the back of the capsule. Should I use the WAN port?

- The capsule is flashing amber and is being assigned an automatic private IP address (APIPA). You know, those annoying addresses machines assign to themselves that start with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx

- I have tried resetting the router and the capsule (power cycling).

- I have tried resetting the capsule to factory settings and reconfiguring. It still flashes amber and picks up a 169.* address.

- My Macbook is connected to the Internet. The Time Capsule is not.

- The ethernet cable is not faulty, as it connects my Macbook.

- Right now the capsule is broadcasting its own wireless network, should I set it to extend my existing one?

----------
    EDIT:

Okay, so I made the capsule an extension of my regular wifi. Now it has a 192.168 address, but is still flashing orange..

By the way, I'm running OSX Mountain Lion.

2. PrestonWard macrumors member

from the router plug into the time capsules WAN port, then put the TC in bridge mode.

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Usually it will tell you what the problem is when you open airport utility.

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

This is correct. Also, it will give you the option to ignore errors. I had a weird error on mine from time-to-time that would cause it to flash yellow. After some researching, it turns out it was some random harmless thing, so I ignored it and my light has stayed green ever since.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

What are you trying to do?

You already have a router, and having two routers routing at the same time in your home can be a problem, unless you deliberately set them up to do that.

As noted, many people let their first router (usually the one your broadband company gave you, which is often both a "modem" or gateway to the broadband connection (cable, DSL, etc) continue to do the routing, and the TC is set in bridge mode, as noted above. Which means that IP addresses are still assigned by the router.

But some people want the TC to do the routing, since they paid for that nice Airport Extreme inside. In that case, they essentially turn off the routing functions of the original router/gateway. In some cases that means setting it in what's often called "modem only" mode or the like, or putting it into DMZ mode and turning off its wifi. Depends on what you've got, and what you wanna do.

Rob

6. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, it's in the WAN port. Bridge mode, eh? Looking for that option.

Thanks for the advice. I'm largely undecided because I got the TC for time machine backups.

What does the "extend my wireless network" option do- put it in bridge mode? Because that's what I have enabled right now and I'm getting the flashing amber LED.

I suspect the TC will do a better job broadcasting a network. I recently created a wireless heatmap of my home and discovered my regular modem/router was performing poorly in some locations. That might be something I consider doing when I get a moment.

Currently I'm faced with this error:
    [​IMG]

----------

Okay so it was already in bridge mode, seemingly because I selected the option to extend my network.

I clicked "ignore" on the error and my light is now green- thanks!