New time capsule, how fast is browsing time machine backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by djrod, Sep 12, 2013.

1. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Hi everybody

I have the previous Time Capsule connected via Ethernet and it's so slow to navigate trough the Time Machine GUI... how is the new model?

2. opinio macrumors 65816

I get about 35-40 MB/s on Black Magic for read and write on the internal drive of the current TC. It's about the same on wifi or gigabit Ethernet, although my wifi connection is only a few metres so the connection is very strong.

I'm not sure about the TC GUI, I'm more talking about HDD read write speeds.

3. djrod thread starter macrumors 65816

djrod

Hi, can you try go back to the first backup you may have in time machine and see how long it takes to show the files? in my current Time capsule I have to wait several seconds until I see the files in the Finder window, see attachment for better explanation.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I can't compare to the old TC as I didn't have one, I used USB drives prior to this TC. But I don't find the UI to be objectionably slow. I have never seen a black screen like in your screenshot, if that's what you're asking.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I had the previous gen. and now the new tower model and use(d) both for TM backup over GB ethernet. They are both slow as hell in that TM star field interface you mentioned. Like you said, click up a couple days to go back and just sit there and wait several seconds while it scrolls to where you want.

I like the AC wireless improvement, but if you are thinking of buying the new gen. for improvement in this specific area... don't bother.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I think the problem lies in the sheer number of files that each of those backup instances contain. In my case it was about 1.7 million files. The links are repeated in every instance of backup, as I understand.

7. djrod thread starter macrumors 65816

djrod

Thanks for the advice, time machine over FireWire was so much faster I might sold the TC, get a good router and go back to my older FireWire 2,5 backup disk.