New Time Capsule release date?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kapalua12, Mar 26, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

Anyone have an anticipated date for the Time Capsule update?

Also, I just bought a new iMac with the Apple Care warranty. If I but a new Time Capsule now 4 days later will the new Time Capsule (if I order it today) be included under the AppleCare warranty I just purchased and have not yet received my iMac Order?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not seen any rumors that an update is imminent. If you need one now, then buy it

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is my guess. Apple's next gen of Mac portables will support the new 802.11ac wifi standard, and new Airport routers like the TC will come out at that time to support the same standard. It is looking like the new portables will be released when Intel's Haswell chipsets are ready around July-August this year.

That said, your new iMac does not support 802.11ac, so that upgrade would do nothing for you. I would just go for it now.

Yes, that TC will be covered by your Applecare since you bought it during the period of the coverage. Look at the tiny tiny footnote 2 at the bottom of this page.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Good advice and I agree with your predictions, but this part does suck because I also got a new iMac and I wish Apple had put AC in the new iMac. As of now, my current 2TB Time Capsule is plenty enough of backup space so upgrading would be pointless for me as well.

Do you think the next generation iOS devices will get AC? If the iPad 5 gets AC, that will give me a reason to upgrade my TC :D

5. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Only after the new wifi standard has been ratified, and even then not right away...I'd buy one now if I needed one...the new standards are away down the line yet, then Apple would have to make a new device...not this year I'd guess.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Apple released an Airport Extreme in January 2007 and a Time Capsule in February 2008,both with 802.11n, and 802.11n was not officially ratified until September 2009. So they have released wireless routers with draft standards before.

But we are all just speculating here. Who knows.

----------

Just a guess... but I don't see as much motivation for Apple to do it on the iOS devices. N speeds already exceed most people's Internet connections, making AC really only helpful for moving files around the local network faster, and I suspect that is not something people do much with iOS devices.

8. smellalot macrumors 6502

iOS devices don't even support full n speeds. So there's really no reason to add ac other than compatibility and maybe reducing power consumption.

9. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

My guess will be late 2013/2014. The pipeline already seems quite ambitious with redesigns of the iPhone, iPads, Mac Pros and laptops around the corner.

The device appears a bit too big and heavy to me though compared to the other Apple accessories being redesigned lately. SSD also came up to my mind (but which might be too expensive with the current capacities), so a more slim design and updated WIFI standard could be the target.

That said, I'll go for the current model, as it does what I'm looking for and I don't want to wait any longer.

10. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Not only that but they released 802.11n capability in clients in 2006, just as sleeper technology that was "awakened" once they released their n routers. I was pleasantly surprised to find my white iMac could do 300Mbs with a driver upgrade.

Apple used to lead the market in releasing the latest wifi capability to the consumer. Too bad they didn't do it this time with ac.

11. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

The new OS seems to be ready :D

12. jns2001 macrumors regular

My time capsule is acting up, thinking of uploading everything to Carbonite for a few months and when the new AC standard is released in the MBA and TC, I'd snag both.