New Time Capsule, setup with no internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ColdCase, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Long background story, but the short story is I attempted to set up a new TC stand alone and without an internet connection. Should work... but... The new TC does show up as a new WiFi Time capsule network and I can select it in Airport Utility 6.3.1. The utility does a few thing like checking the base station and then stalls with a spinning progress wheel. The utility eventually terminates in a "unknown error, try again message". Retried a couple times, reset the TC tried again still no love.

For grins I opened old Airport Utility 5.6.1, selected the new TC, continued through all the warnings and set up the TC just fine.

I go back to Airport Utility 6.3.1 and everyones happy (well except for the no internet connection status of course).

I'm running with 10.8.4 on a MBP. TC is at version 7.7.1.

I thought I'd share in case anyone runs across this.

2. opinio macrumors 65816

Why are you trying to set it up without Internet?

If you tried factory resets and you still have a problem then it old be faulty.

3. ColdCase, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

ColdCase thread starter macrumors 68030

Internet was down, as often it is at the camp, and I wanted to at least set the TC up and check it out before leaving.

BTW, the TC got very warm about 5 minutes into a ~3 hour ~200GB wireless folder transfer to the internal drive. Not as hot as the previous TC version, however. Otherwise it seems to run cool.

4. ColdCase thread starter macrumors 68030

Another reason, it seems like my ISP doesn't promptly refresh its connection when one replaces a apple router and you are out of internet until its std refresh cycle (could be several hours).

I swapped out my airport extreme with a Time Capsule following the Apple instructions to the letter (swap connections, power up time capsule, call the ISP if there is an issue). Since the ISP didn't recognize the new router right away, the Time capsule couldn't connect to the internet and was stuck in the undetermined error, try again later loop. Later would have been a couple hours if I didn't revert to the old airport utility. Wouldn't it be nice if the Apple SW gods displayed a internet connection not available message instead, but I digress.

After setting up I did not have internet access for a couple hours, but the house devices communicated (and the appleTV could play local server movies). By the way, isn't it convenient that the time capsule pulls the old router's configuration and updated itself.

When I called the ISP, their CSR said the link is suppose to automatically reset when swapping routers and seems to do that promptly with non apple branded apple routers. I dunno, but it is what it is, that CSR could not release the old router from the connection.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Very weird behavior from that modem. If you don't mind me asking, what ISP do you use and what type of modem?

6. ColdCase thread starter macrumors 68030

Its fibre (VCI) with a Motorola ONT (not like a cable or DSL modem). Was FIOS years ago but is now owned by Fairpoint. Doesn't seem to be that unusual behavior, but most ISPs seem to be able to reset the circuit to speed the reconnection.