New time capsule soon or just shortages?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soulweaponry, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

I was about to pull the trigger and buy a time capsule on amazon until i noticed the shipping was delayed to "will ship within 1-2 months". Okay that's a no go. So i went to my best buy and they were also out of them. Then in frustration but reeeeally wanting to get one, i drove out to the apple store assuming if anybody had to have it, they would. They didn't have any. But they could order one for me. No go.

Any rumors about a new one or a refresh coming out soon? Or is my town just having a weird shortage on this product?

2. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Same here in the UK, so that suggests something's up. Both 2TB and 3TB models are showing as 1-2 or 1-3 weeks.

Interesting - am looking forward to Wednesday even more now. Could be due to the new wifi draft standards although airport/airport extreme are still in stock.

3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Same in Canada. I snagged the last one in the city two weeks ago. Every Apple retailer (including the Apple Store) is still out.

4. erpetao macrumors regular

Ordered one last Saturday. It said 1-2 weeks. Two working days later (Tuesday) it arrived home.

5. Ves macrumors member

Ves

6. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I was in Best Buy today and randomly saw a few on the shelf. When I bought my MBA last month, the Time Capsule was nowhere to be found, and they couldn't even order it.

I quickly looked it up on my phone, and that Best Buy was the only one near me that had it in stock, so I decided to pick it up.

I am guessing shortage is the answer... But if there is a new one coming (with USB 3.0), I sure hope we find out within the next 14 days, lol...

7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

USB 3 is doubtful. If there is an update big enough for an announcement coming, I'd bet on something bigger, like a RAID configuration or some kind of iCloud integration.

8. LFMNX macrumors regular

Is lack of USB 3.0 an end to end bottleneck in the system? My 2.0 USB devise directly connected to the iMac is significantly faster than connected to TC and accessed wirelessly. For my purpose (backup) it does not cause any usability problems sine it is a background operation.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I guess those would be enough for me to keep the current model then. All I want is Time Capsule backup, and the ability to plug my additional external hard drive into the USB port, so I can access them via my Macbook Air and my Windows 7 laptop.

Actually, I haven't even hooked it up yet... Is my configuration idea feasible? Will I have to reformat my current external 2TB hard drive? I hope not since I have nowhere to backup its current contents to :(

10. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Apple certainly is looking into adopting 802.11ac, the question is just when. I have not been following the tech, so I have no idea if it'd be announced this Wednesday or not, but I could conceive of it being in keeping with a potentially 1080 :apple:TV.

I'd say hold off until Wednesday before jumping into the purchase (of a hard to get item anyway).

11. Henry S macrumors newbie

Probably a shortage; a couple of weeks ago, all of the stores in the DC area showed not in stock. I looked today, and some were still out but 3 or 4 had them available. The Apple online store now shows available 3/28. I think I'll wait until then just in case there is some upgrade.

12. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I believe it was/is just shortages of HDs. I too was looking for a TC upgrade a few weeks ago, and saw the long ass delivery times. It eventually got down to two weeks so I ordered one via Apple Store, but it actually was delivered within a few days.

Talking to a few Apple store employees, they all said it was HD shortages, because of the delivery issues in the Far East. I don't know if it is/was true, but other resellers of HDs in Denmark are also short of big sized HDs.

Bo

13. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

We bought an iMac about a month and a half ago and had planned to pick up a Time Capsule at the same time. They were sold out at the time as were all the other local Apple Stores. One of the guys at at the Apple store said there was a shortage due to the floods in Thailand causing hard drive shortages. I saw an article onine a few days later that said the same thing. At the time the shipping dates were about three weeks out online too, so I just waited. I picked one up locally a few weeks later.

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If you order a TC from Apple it will almost certainly arrive earlier than the shipping claims. Apple can't always guarantee availability as the flooding has shown us so that's gotta be the reason for the bumped shipping dates. If everything is on track and supplies aren't becoming further constrained then it should arrive fairly shortly after ordering as others have noted.

15. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I thought I would add in my experience. I ordered a 2TB TC in 3/1 and Apple said ships in 1-2 weeks. As I post this my order still says processing with an expected delivery of 3/14-3/21.

So those that received theirs early are lucky. :-(

16. BobbyLight macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was hoping to get a new TC but heard apple might be adopting 802.11ac soon. Now that the new iPad and ATV have been announced without ac support I'm assuming it still may be a while before new TC's are out with ac. Am I wrong?

17. el-extranjero, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

el-extranjero macrumors member

Exactly right.

I ordered a new TC yesterday, by Phone. I was told that it should arrive in a few days (less than a week) and that the estimate of 1-3 weeks in Apple's european online Stores is just a thing of under-promise and over-deliver, like Apple likes to do (and I appreciate so much).

Today I checked and the order status went from "Processing Items" to "Preparing for Shipment".

———

Update: Order status changed again. Just now, it was updated to "Shipped".

———