New Time Capsule - sparsebundle?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fredwiz, Sep 2, 2011.

1. fredwiz macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded time capsule and decided to keep the old one for file storage only.

At the time I struggled to sort out the sparsebundle, so the new time capsule has now created its own and been backing up to it for several weeks now.

Should I keep the old sparsebundle on the old time capsule? Could I read from it if necessary? I did try to do so by switching back to the old time capsule in time machine settings, but I get an error when trying to launch time machine (operation can't be completed. unexpected error (code - 6584)

If I am unable to access the old sparsebundle can I safely delete it?

TIA

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

If you've already completed the backup to the new time capsule, and you don't care about going back in time for Time Machine recoveries further than your current backup, nuke the sparsebundle.

3. ljones macrumors regular

You can open the sparse bundle, its a disk image. I'm not sure how you can move data from one time capsule to another, something I'll have to do when I replace mine one day.

If you delete it, just keep in mind all the old content is gone. You might be better off resetting the time capsule. I had to do this once, when my backup was currupt.