New Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doberman211, Feb 5, 2012.

1. doberman211 macrumors regular

Making this because there isn't anywhere talking about this, and I think it's kind of interesting because I was going to wait before getting a Time Capsule until a new model is released. I would appreciate the input of others as well.

1. Thunderbolt anyone?

It's about time they refresh at least their own products with TB support. It could also open new possibilities such as wireless display and a potential future external graphics card for those using Airs that lack the punch necessary to be taken seriously.

2. 4TB drives with RAID support?

They have 2TB 2.5" laptop drives. I think it's about time to have this as an option. Make the 2TB as the default but keep the prices the same. HDDs cost nothing nowadays. No need for the thousands of dollars on an extra device if it's RAID, but it's just a thought.

3. Personal cloud?

There have been rumours of this in the past but they seem to have vanished. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have my cloud on my own desk rather than on Apple's servers.

4. New design?

Make it look like the Mac Mini? Purely for aesthetic purposes, but it is Apple after all, it's not that much of a stretch.

Anything else leave below. I'm just interested in everyone's opinions.

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Hmm, I'm not anymore a big fan of TC as I had trouble with two of them ...

1) TB for TC ? external display ? Don't really understand what you want to achieve with that one. I doubt the TC would or should get graphical units; use a Mac Mini if required or external graphic adaptor connected via TB.

2) a two-device RAID is not really safe; RAID0 for striping: ok, can understand that and would like that inside a Mac Pro for fast disk actions like video processing
    RAID1: just double every file on two disks; good for dying disks but not user errors.

3) didn't read the manual but I think you can share a drive via TC or AE; kind of cloud; but not sure

4) new design: yes, please (though I wouldn't buy)

Actually I really preferr my external NAS with a 4-disk RAID5; that one regular updated to a group of rotating eSATA disks makes me feel safe.

3. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

Most people don't want to buy a mac mini. And you can't use the mac mini as a slave drive for the graphics. The time capsule is mostly for laptops. Like I said, some people just don't want the air because of how weak it is. If there was external graphics connected to the wireless, it would go much faster. Thunderbolt is just so underused. I'd like to use it for something. It's just a useful thing to have on it.

Another idea, though this is never actually going to happen knowing Apple, is have a disk drive in it. But that would take sales away from the MBA superdrive.

I would buy it, as i only have an express plugged into my wall for wireless, and am looking into wireless external hard drives. Time Capsule being the biggest. I just don't want to have a desktop at all, as my desk has become a laptop station.

Just ideas to throw around.

4. Rilely macrumors member

Personally, I would like to see this. Although Time Capsule does Wi-Fi back-ups as well, it would be nice to hook it up to TC for fast initial back-ups or at least as an option for those who have space and would like to use it as both a router and an external hard drive.

I'll pick one of these up as soon as it is released! Hopefully it works better than the first generation Time Capsule I bought and then returned because it was a pretty difficult product to get working properly.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I'd liked to know where I could get a one of those! 1.5TB laptop drives are scarce and expensive.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

Why would the TC be mainly for laptops? I guess maybe for someone who lives alone and only have one computer that might be true, but to me it's the centralized part that really attracts me. No more multiple drives because of multiple machines, or carrying one drive around the house when it's backup time.

8. atomicbloke macrumors member

So when is the new Time Capsule expected to be released?

The Buyer's Guide doesn't even mention anything about a time capsule.

9. hafr macrumors 68030

The TC has been updated about once a year since its release, but considering the last update was the summer of 2011, and that 802.11ac is expected to be ready by the end of 2012, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next update will be in early 2013.