New Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by avinash.v, Jul 3, 2012.

1. avinash.v macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

First of all Warm Greetings to all the members of MacRumors, this is Avinash from China and this is my first post on MacRumors.

I've been using iPhone since they launched 3GS (32GB), got replaced it in January with iPhone 4S (64GB). I also have first generation iPad (64GB), 2*ATV 2nd Gen and tomorrow I'm getting my first MacBook Pro 13" (2.9Ghz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD).

I'm also considering getting Apple's Time Capsule 3TB or AirPort Extreme Base Station. But before I order I'm eager to know if they are going to launch Time Capsule in higher capacity may be 4/5/6TB. Do you guys have any update on Time Capsule?

Another thing I wanted to know whether any of Apple's Router has VPN enabled platform. Is it possible to install or enable Astrill it on that?

Thanks in Advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody knows when/if a new TC will come out, but it's probably not going to happen soon.

Also you can't "install" Astrill on a router. You connect to the VPN through your end device.

3. avinash.v thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Regarding the Astrill or any other VPN Service is possible to install or set up on other Routers after installing the DD-WRT firmware. Is there any way to do the same kind of settings on Apple's any router?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. smellalot macrumors 6502

To my knowledge it's not possible to make any Airport Station a VPN client. Also you can't install DD-WRT on it. So you will have to get a different/additional router that supports DD-WRT.

Edit: Regarding your question about bigger sizes: I don't think we'll see a bigger one soon, since the biggest hard drives available at the moment are 3TB. I can't imagine Apple making a Time Capsule with two drives.

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I don't expect a new Time Capsule or Airport Extreme to launch until Apple formally adopts 802.11ac.

7. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

It is possible to install a larger HDD into a TC though.

8. avinash.v thread starter macrumors newbie

@miles01110 - Well it's possible to connect up to 5 devices simultaneously if you take the Home Plan.

@smellalot - Actually I was confused between TC and coming Linksys EA6500. In fact I can buy both, but then how to do home networking I don’t know. Can anyone advice?

@CWallace - So do you suggest I should wait for the TC with 802.11ac and do you think it's going to be out in sometime, even without higher capacity, that's also fine for me.

@Lance-AR - I've a Buffalo Link Station 1.5TB; can I connect it with TC?

9. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Given the rMBP did not include 802.11ac, I do not see the TC being updated this year.