New Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ifti, May 8, 2013.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

What are the chances of a new Time Capsule any time soon?
    Thinking of changing my AEBS to a TC instead.....

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are signs of the new 802.11AC wireless standard in OS X beta 10.8.4.... so probably not far away. My guess is the new Mac portable announced at WWDC in June will support AC wifi and new Airport Extreme/Time Capsules will follow.

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm in no rush for the moment and am waiting to hear about the Haswell rMBP as well, so I may as well wait until then!
    Thanks.

4. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I've been reading up on WiFi AC and it looks like a huge improvement over N.
    Have there been any rumours etc with regards to when it will be more widely available? Just trying to guesstimate when Apple will grab hold of it for the TC!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can already but some AC routers like one by Asus, but I have seen any client devices that include AC yet. All I have seen is the speculation based on the 10.8.4 info.

6. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

HTC One and Samsung GS4 both have WiFi AC and both are available now. I'm sure the iPhone 5S will have AC

7. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

New Time Capsule?

Perhaps I don't understand the full benefits of AC over N. What benefits will the average consumer see? I have a 30/5 connection and that is exactly what I get over wifi on N with my iPad/phone/MBP. Will AC somehow improve this?

8. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

It'll just make internal data transfer faster.
    Backing up wirelessly from a MacBook to a TC would be much faster, for example, or transferring files between ac enabled clients, etc.
    It wont do anything to your web surfing speed.

9. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

On another note, if it comes with 802.11ac, hopefully it will have a USB3.0 port as well!!! That would be pretty cool!

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahh.... thanks. Did not know that. All I had seen so far was some AC adaptors.

I agree w/you on the 5S.

11. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

That would be cool. Or a TB port!! Let me ask, IF the new APE has USB 3.0 port and I connect a HHD to it and connect my 2011 iMac (no usb 3.0:mad:) via ethernet will I then have usb 3.0 speed to that HHD?

12. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

If the new APE has 802.11ac as well as USB3.0 then, in theory, you should get faster speeds to the HDD even over wireless.
    In your scenario though, your iMac will not have 802.11ac, so it will operate at 802.11n speeds, which will be the bottleneck.

13. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

But in scenario my iMac is connected via Ethernet cable, not wirelessly.

14. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah, yes in which case you should get USB3 speeds, in theory!

15. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

So ,in theory, in my scenrio video files would transfer faster than to my current FW 800 HDD I have connected to my iMac?

16. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

As long as you're using GB ethernet, you should get faster speeds. A standard 5400rpm HDD should give you around 100MBs read and write, whereas FW800 tops out at around 80MBs.

17. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

:eek:
    Cool. Now all we need is for Apple to update APE w/ WiFi AC and a USB 3.0/TB port. How long til WWDC?:eek:

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

June 10 and 11.

19. ColdCase, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I used a TC as a router for a couple years, but I found that an AEBS works better as a router and wireless access point, the TC better as a disk server. I've tried connecting USB drives to the AEBS for TM backups, I tried connecting drives to the TC and using the TC router and wireless functions. They both have quirks if you try to do too much. You could almost cook eggs on a TC under heavy disk and wireless use. When the drive wears out, you bring your network down while you replace the TC or the drive.

Anyway, I use my old TC with a new internal drive and a WD external drive as a disk server for TM backups and I purchased an AEBS and use it as my wireless router and have been happy since. Zero down time, no need for resets... just solid reliability and little heat.

Just saying that combining functions has looked good on paper but lacks a bit in practice in my experience. But I'm the kind of guy that wants to set and forget, have other interests beside tinkering :).