New Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by paulold, Jun 21, 2013.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV, and a Time Capsule. I have Fios and my internet is decent in my 1 BR condo. I don't really do any internal file transfers - most of my stuff is on my laptop's hard drive. So I'm wondering if the new time capsule will improve any performance for me? I suppose it will help the backup process work faster, but that has not been an issue for me - it's so behind-the-scenes and I've never had to go into Time Machine. I'm mainly wanting to know if it will improve my browsing experience on the internet on my laptop, my phone and iPad. I'm thinking it can only be as good as the quality of the internet signal I am getting from my cable provider. But might there be a bump in performance compared to my current Time Capsule (it was the first 1 TB Time Capsule Apple put out) and would that bump be worth $300?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your thinking is right on target and I don't think it would be worth it for you.

N speeds already exceed your Internet speed, and if you don't need AC for local LAN transfers, there is not much reason to upgrade.

Some users are reports a bit better N reception with the new version, but you don't seem to have a problem in that area.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

For performance, no, you probably won't see a tremendous difference. If you wanted to upgrade your Time Capsule space to a 2GB or 3GB model then I'd say go for the new one; your current TC will probably fetch +/- $100 on eBay.

4. dustincox macrumors newbie

Cannot connect to time capsule

Can anyone tell my why I cannot connect to time capsule. My Time Machine backs up to it, but I cannot log on to it via the finder window. (screen shot attached)

Thank you

Attached Files:

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not sure how to assist you on the problem, but you may wish to consider editing your attachment image to remove your name in the upper right corner. Unless you're okay with it.

6. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Plug your modem directly into your MacBook Pro and try browsing that way. That's the kind of speed you can expect wirelessly out of the new airport extreme and time capsule when using 802.11ac devices. It's fast!

7. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

A question might also be if the new Time Capsules/Airport Extremes also suffer under the latest Wi-Fi Issues? If they are indeed hardware related than not only the new Macbook Air models could be affected.

8. darster Suspended

Not necessarily for using the internet. My ISP provides 60 Mbs DL and 10 Mbs UL speeds. My 4th generation AEBS gives me those speeds via wifi on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz n on all my devices. ac devices will not be any faster on the internet if you already getting advertised ISP speeds on your current devices. However, if you get weak signals in your house, the new TC has more strength and is more stable. Where ac will be noticeable is when you transfer files, etc, to TC or other ac devices. Those speeds will be blazing.

9. metier macrumors member

Sorry not the same issue post deleted