Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Hello, since I upgraded to macOS 10.12.4, Time Machine ceased to backup every hour, but only when
there is some activity on the machine.
Is that a bug or an unpublished feature?
;JOOP!

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
How is your time machine hard drive connected to your machine? Direct connection or via your network?

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
Is your computer set to go to sleep when it isn't being used? It will not wake up from sleep to do a backup.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for that link. Very interesting! My wife has Sierra on her MBP (my MBP is too old to upgrade) and she is constantly getting backup error messages, most often the one where the sparse bundle can't be verified and you have to start over. Yesterday got a message that the backup could not be completed and to use Disk Utility to verify and repair the drive or just wait and it may work fine at the next backup (sort of a strange message, lol). I'm on El Capitan and have no problem at all with TM backups. My wife does not use the Storage Optimization mentioned in the article and he does think that the variable backup schedule only happens when Storage Optimization is turned on.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Storage Optimization is NOT switched on with me.
Problems with the sparse bundles might be caused by bad connections/bad cables or
by untimely closing the lid of the laptop in the midst of a backup.
Just let backups finish.
And in your case: start all over again with backups.
;JOOP!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Storage Optimization is NOT switched on with me.
Problems with the sparse bundles might be caused by bad connections/bad cables or
by untimely closing the lid of the laptop in the midst of a backup.
Just let backups finish.
And in your case: start all over again with backups.
;JOOP!
Closing the lid while a backup is in progress shouldn't make a difference as the backup cycle supposedly finishes up, or is paused. Having said that, I wish we would get the spinning TimeMachine symbol back for a visual confirmation of its activity, so the chance of possible file corruption could be minimized.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Having said that, I wish we would get the spinning TimeMachine symbol back for a visual confirmation of its activity, so the chance of possible file corruption could be minimized.
I totally agree; there is enough room on the top bar for visual notifications.
Then again, you can easily make some script or program that peeps into the /Volumes and displays something.
;JOOP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.