New to Airport usage, few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arkanok, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok, so I just bought an Airport Extreme and I had a question in regards to using an external hard drive attached to the airport rather than my laptop.

So I have the hard drive mounted so I see it on the desktop just as it would appear if it was plugged in through USB. Now, when I open iMovie 09 to try and edit a movie (all the iMovie events and most projects are on the external drive), iMovie shows them in the events panel, but with a warning icon, and clicking on it does nothing. So basically, it appears as if I cannot edit movies on the external, is this true? Is there a workaround at all? Because I don't want to have to walk up to the drive and plug in the small usb cable to edit movies...

Here's a screenshot of iMovie showing the alert logo.

Attached Files:

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure that editing movies wirelessly would be soul-crushingly slow.

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah probably, but I've got it on the 802.11n so the speeds aren't that bad, but I know it's probably not a good idea, but as it stands, I can't even do any video editing now seeing as how my files are on the hard drive, and my laptop's internal drive isn't big enough to store them temporarily.

damn lol

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

802.11n or not, your bottleneck is still at the AEBS's USB controller. May I suggest upgrading your laptop's internal HDD?

5. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah I've been thinking of that, but I'd prefer not to spend too much cash, but I guess it is turning into my only option.