New to Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MLO, Nov 11, 2010.

1. MLO macrumors member

I am new to Aperture. Currently I am using Photo mechanic and Photoshop CS3.
    I downloaded the trial for Aperture 3. As a photojournalist working for a newspaper, we shoot Jpeg large. All photos are 200 dpi. Any horizontal shots are always 10", any vertical shots are 10".
    I have noticed a few things.
    1. The photos are not as large as they would be in CS3, the file size are smaller.
    2. When exporting, the file info of the photo is about 8-10K. In photo shop they are quite large, even when resized.
    3. Metadata is not there, I need to caption my photos, when I FTP them, that info is not there.
    4. When I export, after resizing and open them in photoshop they are not 10" they are 7" or somewhere around there.

Am I doing something wrong here?

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I'm a photojournalist as well so I hope I can help here.

First off, this support documents tells you what metadata fields in Aperutre map to in Photoshop or Photomechanic. That way you can fill in the correct ones.

In "Image Export"presets, make sure your settings are set to fit in 10"x10" and check the colour format is sRGB or RGB. Also, remember that A3 uses different sharpening and export techniques so the file sizes might be different from PS.

By file info, do you mean the XMP sidecar files or actual file size? I don't use XMP so I can't really help you there.

Also, check Aperture.MacCreate as they have many tips and examples of photojournalist using A3 in the field, for example this post.

Hope this helps.

3. MLO thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Hi.
    Thanks for responding. Very helpful information.

If I click on the image and hit command I for the information, the file size of the photo is about 10KB, which is a lot smaller than if I did my editing in Photoshop and saved the photo. I was curious as to why that is.

I am moving away from photoshop all together, too many issues.

I did FTP photos to our papers system, but the information was blank, even though metadata was checked and I filled it out the caption information.

The website is great, I will be on there today.

Mark

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

cosmo is correct. You can "edit" in export to use whatever size you want to in your photos. I had this problem with sending a picture to mpix for blow up to a 20x30. you can use either inches or in my case I used pixels to create the correct "data" that was needed. Here is the link the the thread that I started:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1025619

Also, another excellent source for aperture use with a forum to answer a whole bunch of questions is aperture expert (http://www.apertureexpert.com). You are right, this is a pretty cool forum and I've learned and continue to learn a whole lot from the variety of people using it. good luck!