New to Aperture

Discussion in 'iMac' started by daddy, Apr 26, 2012.

1. daddy macrumors member

Is there a way to use the pictures in Aperture as "desktops" as there is in iPhoto? My iPhoto app got corrupted. Fortunately all the photo's on a a backup disc, but I have started using Aperture. Would appreciate any comments on your experience in setting the desktop picture with Aperture.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Once you've got Aperture installed, go to System Preferences > Desktop and Screensaver and under Desktop, click on Aperture.

3. daddy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information but Aperture is installed and it doesn't appear in the choices!! Any suggestions?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You have to navigate to the Aperture Library, it's there you just have to look.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When I navigate there... I have to wait a bit for Aperture to show as one of the choices. I immediately get Apple, Folders, iPhoto... and then after about 20 seconds, I get Aperture. I think it is because it is loading the images. I have about 51,000 in my Aperture library.

/Jim

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When you are in System Prefs > Desktop and Screensaver > Desktop, click on the + sign on the left and select Aperture.

7. daddy thread starter macrumors member

Well, it's not working that way for me. Aperture is indeed installed, and I do get the iPhoto folders while the sign for the loading (spinning disc) is going. After that the spinning stops and I still don't see Aperture there. I have many more folders in iPhoto than in Aperture. Further, I have tried and I think iPhoto is deleted from the iMac although it still is on the Time Machine backup. Why would I still be getting the iPhoto images. Can't figure this out, and still can't find a way to Aperture into Desktops! Any more suggestions as to what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Where is your Aperture library installed?

If everything's working (at least in Lion) it should show faces, places, albums, projects, events...pretty much everything.

Rob

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The Aperture user manual states the following:-

Integration with Mac OS X Desktop & Screen Saver System Preferences
    Like images in iPhoto libraries, images in Aperture libraries can be used for your screen
    saver and desktop picture, through the same mechanism the media browser uses.

In other words, set up Desktop images via Sytem Preferences as stated in my earlier post.

10. daddy thread starter macrumors member

John, I appreciate you sticking with me but I can only say what I said in my last post. "It ain't there"! I do go to Systems>Desktop/Screen Saver and on the L side there is Apple with subsets of Desktop picture, Nature, Plants etc. Below that is iPhoto with subsets of Events' Photos, Faces, Places plus all my folders from iPhoto. Below that is Folders with one subset called Pictures and opening that there are 10-20 folders within and one of them is "Aperture Library. aplibrary" and if I click on this it opens Aperture. So I am right back to the question of how to set pictures from Aperture as a desktop photo. Below the section on the L in Desktop/Screen Savers there is a + and - button. Using the + button opens the Applications folder but in that the Aperture file is "greyed" out and can't be added. I hope this is clear.

11. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Again, where is your Aperture Library? Do you have projects set up within it? they should show up on the left side of the preference pane. You select one, and it will be your desktop.

[​IMG]

Rob

Attached Files:

12. daddy thread starter macrumors member

Aperture is in my Applications. I see your picture and as I described in my note the left side of my "Desktop" looks exactly like yours EXCEPT Aperture does not appear below iPhoto. That is my problem. I hear what you are saying but it isn't there! It does no good to insist it should be there when it isn't and how to get it there is what I need a solution for. Any suggestions?

13. daddy thread starter macrumors member

I would appreciate anyone giving some help with this. I am sure it is something very simple I am missing. Thanks.