New to Apple. Advice please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tml.chelseafc, Aug 8, 2009.

1. tml.chelseafc macrumors member

Now that you guys have helped me with the RAM and the applecare protection plan, I don't think I have told you all yet that this will be first apple laptop ever. Basically I am annoyed of Windows and want to switch. SO EXCITED :D

2. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Congrats and good luck. If you're going to be carrying it around a lot, consider some kind of accidental protection plan for it. Have fun. :apple:

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Congrats! I switched for the same reason when vista came out lol, at one point I was reinstalling the os once to twice a month because of conflicting software and registry problems etc I could even do it with my eyes closed! lol I got a mac and at first it actually seemed kinda weird not having to do a full format and reinstall every month almost creapy.... It could have been the fact that I loved testing out beta's of forthcoming software on windows but ow well lol I am much happier now.

4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Congrats. You won't look back. I only use windows for my SNES/N64 emulators, and even then I just use a VM

5. kr26633z macrumors newbie

congrats! its definatly worth the switch, for a bit more money you get less stress and something pretty. My Windows desktop has been on 3 times i think since i bought my MBP last month. Its realy nice having something that just works. enjoy ur new life :p

6. hugorganista macrumors member

hugorganista

CONGRATS!!! You won't regret it. As soon as you touch a Windows, you'll want to throw that piece of crap away!!!

Remember, "Think Different." Your an Apple Kid now. :) :apple:

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Where would I go about finding these?

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

SNES9x 1.51 works quite well on the newer Macs. Runs just fine on my UMB 2.0ghz.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations. Give yourself time to get to know how the Mac works, but above all, enjoy it. May both you and your new laptop live long and prosper together.

Cheers and good luck

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Mmm I bought my first Mac a month ago too, need to upgrade to RAM and to a SSD, can't wait for that.

Anyways I still use both OS X and Vista/Win7 equally both have their positives and negatives.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Agreed, you don't need Windows to run those emulators, you can get them for free on Mac OS X and they do run very well. You can actually use the same roms.

12. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

So are there any important things I should do with a new laptop...??

I read about calibrating the battery, so I will do just that. I also would like to immediately install an anti-virus software. (I think I have this bad habit from Windows...) Will I even need it?

Secondly, after I finish that, I will go ahead and install all the things I need, like itunes + Office 2008 + iwork + MSN (What software will I need that let's me use MSN?)

Meanwhile, when everything is installing, I will play with my IPod Touch that I'll also receive from Apple. :D Gosh, this is exciting :)

13. Branskins macrumors 65816

The holidays came early this year! :)

14. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

:cool::cool::cool:

Same boat as I was in on 07. I still have to work on windows machines at work. Freaking hate em! I have lost so much work because windows decides to crap the bed in the middle of a project. I guess I should have saved my work after every 5 min...

I have not regretted my decision in the least. I love Apple.....I am now a worry free finatic. Its a sickness/madness I think...cant stop at having one mac. I am buying another iMac when I get back from Kuwait.

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Mark a date on your calendar to get Applecare before your initial one-year warranty is up.

You don't need it. OSX will not allow any viruses to slip in through some mysterious "back door".