New to Apple and confused!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Dec 29, 2008.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Okay, I am new to the whole Apple thing and just had a question. In a few months I am going to be buying a Macbook Pro and an iPod touch. I am also going to be buying Audioengine A5 speakers. My question is, what is Airport Express? I guess the Audioengine A5 speakers will work with this but I am not quite sure how. Will I not have to have speakers plugged into the Macbook Pro if I get Airport Express? Just confused as to what Airport Express does and the advatages of having it...Thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Airport Express is a wireless router that has a plug for speakers on it. This allows you to plug a stereo into it (the AE) and send music from iTunes to wherever those speakers are. The point is to use iTunes wirelessly to any stereo. Any speakers with a 1/8" mini-jack will work (including your Audioengine).

Real comedian aren't you?

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Nope, I am not. Just pointing out a wealth of information that is at the fingertips. :rolleyes:

4. brentsg macrumors 68030

iTunes library on Mac + Audioengine 5's in a remote location + Airport Express + iPhone (as a remote control) = bliss

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

AirPort Express is basically a wireless router that is the same size as the MacBook/Pros power adaptor.

6. the vj macrumors 6502a

LOL, I am totaly agree.

7. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for your help guys. Would I need to buy any cables or would just the Speakers and Airport Extreme be enough to set it up? Thanks

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

From the Airport Express page:

In a nutshell, no cables are provided for you.

However, the appropriate cable is included with the speakers:
    [​IMG]

9. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all of your help. One more question, if I want to run the internet through Airport Express in my house, what else do I need to buy? Do I need to buy an ethernet cable? Currently I am using a Belkin Wireless G router in my house. Thanks

10. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Just unplug you Belkin and connect the existing ethernet cable from you modem/whatever to the Airport Express.

Run Airport Utility (preinstalled on your mac) to configure it following the manual and input whatever settings you need from your internet service provider.

11. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Other computers in my household run off that Belkin G Router. Their laptops might not support Wireless N. Will Airport Express still work for them? BTW, they have Dell notebooks. Thanks

12. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Well, two things...either you can run another ethernet cable from your modem to the Airport Express. (Also would work running one from the existing Belkin)

Or you can use the Airport Express in 'G' mode so it works with all your computers.