New to apple imacs!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pkillpeers, Nov 2, 2014.

1. pkillpeers macrumors newbie

pkillpeers

Hello guys. i'm new here, and also new to apple. Bought an iphone 5s when it came out, and as the time passed, i got addicted and decided i'm done with windows.
    Question was: Macbook or imac? since i don't value portability, and i value performance, i decided to go with imac. I dont have much money to spend, so i can get better performance from imacs than macbooks.
    Anyway, moving on. I need some tips from you guys. I never touched on mac OS, i'm really noob, so i don't know how much memory does it use, how much space or processing power.
    Since i have a limited amount of money, i have to make some choices. Based on my requirements:

I now own an Asus core i7 1.9GHZ with an 1tb hdd 5.400. 6GB ram and nvidia 635M 2GB
    i like to play world of warcraft and i don't like my computer lagging. Thats it, no video/photo editing stuff. I just play, browse the web, listen to music and watch movies.

Based on what i have now, i don't want to buy something inferior ofc.
    Im going with imac 21.5 , Intel Core i5 quad-core , 1tb fusion drive, and 16 GB ram.
    You think i'm going to have a good experience? initially i was going to 8GB, but im reading comments here and there, that its a bad idea. so i got a bit scared, because i dont know the OS. usually on windows, 8GB is more than enough. But i plan to enjoy this desktop for some years so...
    i dont have money for the full SSD, i think fusion will be fine.
    How about the core i7 ? will i notice a difference?
    thanks in advance for all the tips guys

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

3. apfelmann macrumors 6502

The little iMacs generally don't offer very good value for the money.

If there is a way you can afford it, go for 27" imac. Look at the refurbished prices.

I bought my first Mac in 2007 (24" iMac) and it is still running without any repairs (knock on wood ...). So in the long run, it maybe be better to spend a little more money now, and have a good Mac for lots of years to come.

(maybe best solution: wait until refurbished retina iMacs become available)

I wouldn't go non-retina in the year 2014 if it's possible in any way ...

4. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

Yes, that's a fine machine. You will have a good experience. However I'd recommend considering a factory-refurbished iMac 27 with Fusion Drive.
    Just don't get one with a regular HDD -- get either Fusion Drive or SSD. Re the i7 it's useful for specialized tasks like video rendering, but in general the i5 is fine.

One advantage of the iMac 27 is memory can be upgraded later, but not on the 21.5". OTOH the 21.5" you mentioned has 16GB, so you'd never need to upgrade it. OS X uses memory very efficiently; 16GB is a lot for OS X.

Do not worry about the new operating system. It is easy to learn and use. It is arguably more familiar and "Windows like" than Windows 8.0 was. You generally don't need to worry about viruses, updates are easier, reboots less common, etc. In the unlikely event of an OS X issue requiring a re-install, you can usually re-install the OS, and all your apps will be right where you left them. This is because OS X does not use a registry like Windows.

5. pkillpeers thread starter macrumors newbie

pkillpeers

thanks for all the replies guys. can't wait go get my hands on my first mac :D

6. leman macrumors 604

In your case, a gaming laptop will work much better.