New to Apple, looking at Macbook Pro 15" (Jan08 refresh)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnyip, Dec 7, 2007.

1. johnyip macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am new to Apple and am looking into purchasing a 15" Macbook Pro when the Penryn chipset is implemented.

As an Australian student I qualify for the educational rate (about AUD$300 or so off) and was seeking advice about everything in general. I consider myself very computer literate and religiously use my iPod touch for contacts, calendar videos.

I am wondering, is there a particular way to get Office extra cheap?
    Can I get any freebies through buying it the laptop a certain way? (eg. discount on insurance)
    Do laptop screen/keyboard protectors work, if so what do you recommend?
    Any big Do's/Don'ts when buying Macbook Pro's and accessories?
    Does buying a wired keyboard (for the extra USB ports) and a wireless mouse make sense?
    Is it true that upgrading to a 200GB 7200RPM hard drive offers an instant speed increase of around 10% over any 5400RPM drive?
    Any real advantages to using Vista over XP (through Boot Camp)?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your advice.

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

People will complain about Vista being buggy and such. However, if you want to use the DX10 capabilities of the 8600, you'll need Vista.

3. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

If you are a student you can get Office MS through University and usually its just a 20$ or so
    Dont know anything about freebies but never get one and have/had bunch of Macs
    I dont know much about protectors cos Im just careful with my gear but I use Radtech screen protector and its perfect. No keyboard on my screen :p
    I use bluetooth keyboard and mouse due to allergy to wires, and love it. Two USB ports on laptop are OK. If you need more get a hub.
    Didnt notice significant speed increase with 7200RPM drive but Im not en expert. Others will give you more info
    Dont use windows:cool:so cant comment on Bootcamp

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Every once in a while, there'll be an Office offer or rebate... just have to look out for 'em. In the meantime, OpenOffice / NeoOffice - free!

Make big purchases on a credit card with cashback(if you have one); here in the UK Capital One offer 4% cashback. After a laptop, a display, a holiday... you'll appreciate the cashback (paid anually though).

There are also plenty of 0% finance offers around here too... so you can put off paying the final amount for 9, maybe 12 months. Good because you can use the money on something else now while still getting use out the machine. And no interest! :D

Bah, I rarely ever bother with that protector stuff -- I have some iKlear screenwipes and an incase sleeve, but beyond that... don't eat or drink around your computer, use common sense, you should be alright.

Don't buy accessories or components from Apple unless you have a significant money off coupon, because it can usually be found cheaper.

The extra USBs on the Apple keyboards can't really power anything beyond a mouse - buy a powered hub if necessary. Once you get Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, what else really needs a constant USB connection, anyway? Occasionally an mp3 player, camera, printer, maybe an external hard drive(though you're better off using fw800 for external HDs)... the 2 on board USB should suffice really.

Someone else can tackle the rpm and Vista Qs! :p

5. johnyip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help so far.

Just so you know, I am an Australian who is a High School student who will not require finance.

Is there a particular place that forum or something that can alert me to rebates/sales and such?

With Office 2008 coming out, what is the cheapest way to get it (remembering I qualify for Academic rate).

Cheers!

6. johnyip thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, what is the cheapest way to purchase Intego Security Suite?

7. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

There was an offer here in the US where Microsoft was offering Office 2004 student edition with a $100 rebate and then would offer you an Office 2008 upgrade to the Ultimate version when it comes out for free...I don't exactly remember if this was a Black Friday deal or if its still going on, but essentially it would make Office 2004 + free upgrade to 2008 for something like $35.

I also don't know if this was offered outside of the US...

EDIT: I purchased a copy of Office 2007 Ultimate through a promotion Microsoft is having for college students called the "The Ultimate Steal" for only 60 bucks...it's only for Windows though...and right now I don't have a Mac and am waiting for the Jan. updates...but I will install it under bootcamp.

The Australian promotion is called "It's not Cheating" and it runs through May 15, 2008....for AU$75...look into that aswell...

http://www.itsnotcheating.com.au/

8. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

You need to look into Australian stores for any kind of rebates, but dont expect too much. Apple doesn't do sales. You can maybe save something but not much.
    Dont Your high school has some kind of deal on Office?? Ask IT guy at school

9. jonnos macrumors regular

im from aus too. im planning on purchasing a mbp once the penryn are in. here is a site that sells edu software and some hardware. i plan on purchasing my wacom tablet and adobe cs3 collection here when i get my cash up :D www.educationsoftware.com.au the store sometimes has some promos and freebies with products. oh looky here..

$219.00
    Microsoft Office: Mac Student/Teacher Ed. 2004

Purchase this product between 26th Sep 2007 and 29th Feb 2008 to be eligible for a special $27 upgrade to Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition. Redeemable online through the Microsoft website.