Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jupiter65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Hi I'm very new to Mac.

I have a 2GHz intel imac. I want to print to a HP 930C deskjet located in another room and connected to a Win XP machine.

I have tried and tried to setup the Mac. Now I can print. However what comes out of the printer is a garbbled mess. Nothing like what should be printed.

I did go to HP and download drivers for this printer. However I have since found that in the Mac OSX, the drivers are already there for that printer.

Any suggestions ?

Is trying to print from Mac through an XP machine even possible ?
Its kind of frustrating, especially as I thought Mac were supposed to be easier to do things with than Windows machines.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
As a test, can you print when the printer is connected directly to the Mac? Do you see the printer in System Preferences > Printing? Is your printer selected in this dialog?

jupiter65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
As a test, can you print when the printer is connected directly to the Mac? Do you see the printer in System Preferences > Printing? Is your printer selected in this dialog?

OK Yes I can print correctly if it is connected directly to the Mac.

I can see the printer in preferences.

As soon as I hit print, it begins to print but the print is all messed up. So I suppose the communication is there across the wireless network.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Macs are easier than PCs, but that doesn't mean that wireless networks are. I wish I could remember about how I set all of my stuff up, but I honestly can't. Just be patient with it, and hopefully it will pull together soon.

Enjoy your new iMac...wish I had one!

dermo

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Ireland
HP Deskjet 930C

OK Yes I can print correctly if it is connected directly to the Mac.

I can see the printer in preferences.

As soon as I hit print, it begins to print but the print is all messed up. So I suppose the communication is there across the wireless network.

Hi there,

Ever get this sorted out? I am having exactly same problem. I did get a cable,Centronics on printer side and USB on Mac side but like you,using 12 sheets of paper for one page oactual text when I try to print.
Cheers :confused:

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I have a simillar problem as well, when excell or other documents print out with wrong formatting, orientation, etc. I end up having to transfer the document to the WinXP computer, and then print from there.. just bought the Airport Extreme, so hopefully that will work better!

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
It seems like leopard doesn't play well with printers over a network. 10.5.2 seemed to iron out a lot of wrinkles for me. Which OS are you using?

dermo

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Ireland
Printer problem

Guys

Sems my issue was with the cable. Changed it to a USB A to USB B and it did the trick. LUckily there is a USB A port on the 930C.
Cheers:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.