New to Apple & needs your advice on the MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nstreet16, Dec 1, 2009.

1. nstreet16 macrumors newbie

Okay, I NEED ANYONE'S HELP!!!!

I ordered a base macbook pro 15in 2.53GHz, 250gb hard drive, etc... on black friday from Amazon.com for $1549.95. I'm set to receive my laptop this friday (the 4th) and wonder if I should just refuse shipment. The general consensus from all of the people on here seems to be that there is a revision coming in January (with better processor, etc...).

I'm practically FREAKED OUT right now:eek:, cuz thats what happened last time with an apple product, I bought an ipod and then they updated it a month later! I was screwed. I totally get that the product will keep changing so I'll never have a new product. But if its a new processor (Intel Arrandale-based processor)... isn't that major/gamechanging?!

I'm not completely pressed to get a new laptop cuz mine isn't dying just yet. Honestly, I'm a broke mo-fo and thought I was getting a good deal since I've never seen it better than the student price. I was gonna give my current one to my little sister or dad who needs a computer.

Now majority of you are mac experts and know their schedule like the back of your hand... Should I just refuse shipment and wait it out? Or am I getting a good deal here and that the new mac isn't gonna be that much of a difference? Although I've never personally seen it, I've been told that apple lowers the price on their current laptops when a new one comes out. Whats the likelihood of that happening?

Any advice would be great...:confused::(

UPDATE: DECEMBER 8, 2009 11:38AM- SKIP TO POST #13

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i say wait, though you wont benefit from the advancements by the sounds of it (i take it you arent a heavy user?). the price will be a tiny bit high i think, but at least you could brag about having the latest technology.

wait!

3. nstreet16 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Dell with Windows 7 on it now (went from XP media center to Vista to Windows 7)... its stood by me well throughout the years but I'm noticing the some kinks to it after owning it for awhile now. I always wanted a macbook pro but never could afford it. Still can't.

I use light-medium Photoshop, Office, a variety of music editing programs, watches tv episodes I've missed, iphone 3g w/ iTunes, make DVDs and cds, browse the web, chat online... standard stuff.

You think the new processor will create an increase in price?

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

i say go my way... I got a pro on ebay for 1420 brand new in box, sealed and everthing, plus bing cash back (8%) equals 1333. its the same one you have LOL.

you can get the student discount on apple for the mbp for 1399 plus tax of course but still.

jeez my mom's 2006 macbook pro can do all of your needs... personally, i'd refuse and wait a month for the refresh and get a better deal on the current model.

5. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

there won't be an increase in price, but it is highly unlikely that there will be new MBPs in Jan.

apple rarely releases new machines just as processors are announced.

6. nstreet16 thread starter macrumors newbie

are these arrandale chips and its tested performance really that remarkably different from whats in it now? What else is projected to make an appearance in this new MBP? I've been reading trying to do a bit of research but everything is so confusing. Especially seeing as how people disagree about the quality of the performance the new processor and mentioning terms like GPU, 35w, pentr-something... None of which I understand.

I mean, is it really worth the wait? My other option is if I choose not to refuse the shipment and keep it unopened... I am allowed to return it by Jan 31st but I gotta pay for the shipping.

Oh and I plan on using Parallels/VMware/Bootcamp (one of the 3, haven't decided on which is better...) cuz i have several windows programs that doesn't work with mac. BTW, i hear office 2008 for mac sucks... true?

7. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

the chips are unreleased and thus untested. it is clear however that the nehalem architecture has shown significant performance increases in desktop models, mhz for mhz - this however does not make the arrandale revolutionary.

just take delivery. once you've had it and used it and when new models are released, you'll realise that the advances are incremental and meagre and not worth waiting for.

mac office lacks some things from windows office, but for the most part it does the job.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

quite standard requirements yup. bottom line would suit fine :)

hmm im not sure. pretty substantial updates in CPU, its hard to tell what apple will do. but generally, they dont change the prices. who's to say it wont stay that way though!

IIRC, the last couple of significant CPU upgrades by Intel have resulted in apple having 'exclusive' access to the CPUs (e.g. 2007 iMac, 2009 MP). nobody else had access to them for a while. these CPU upgrades are pretty significant, so maybe apple wants in on that?

9. nstreet16 thread starter macrumors newbie

melchior, You seem be to quite knowledgeable, what mac do you have??? which mac programs would you recommend?

Another dude did this and thought it might help...

Writing texts, reports, etc:
    Currently using on PC: MS Office (excel, word, outlook used), notepad, Adobe Acrobat/Reader for PDFs and Print to PDFs
    Options for Mac: iworks, MS Office, ???
    Which is better? My friend said her word docs would freeze when she had office 2008 for mac

Music editing:

Currently using on PC: Adobe Soundbooth, Nero Wave Editor (cuz I use Nero to burn stuff)
    Options for mac: no freakin clue...??

Photo editing:
    Currently using on PC: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
    Options for mac: no freakin clue...??

Listening to music:
    Currently using on PC: Windows Media Player, iTunes
    Options for Mac: iTunes
    Any program with advance MP3 Tag editing?

Watching movies:
    Currently using on PC: Cyberlink PowerDVD, Windows Media Player, VLC
    Options for Mac: iTunes, anything else?

Document Management/Burning Program:
    Currently using on PC: WinZip and WinRar, Nero, Power ISO Virtual Drive Manager
    Options for Mac: No clue?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For the things you list below, new processors might run a virtualization suite a little faster but for the most part it's almost certain you won't notice any difference.

Nothing really. Probably minor spec bumps (larger standard hard drive or something inconsequential).
    In your case I would say no.

Works perfectly fine for me. Just update it and it will be more than enough for the casual user.

11. numediaman macrumors 6502a

First, remember that you can boot your new Mac in Windows -- something I never do, by the way.

Next:

Writing texts, reports, etc:
    Currently using on PC: MS Office (excel, word, outlook used), notepad, Adobe Acrobat/Reader for PDFs and Print to PDFs
    Options for Mac: iworks, MS Office, ???
    My option: I use Office with no problems, though I tend to use Keynote rather than PowerPoint. I also use Acrobat to create and edit PDFs, though you can create PDFs right in the OS when you print. Preview is used to read PDFs off the web (faster than opening Acrobat), though you can use Acrobat Reader, though there is no reason to.

Music editing:
    Currently using on PC: Adobe Soundbooth, Nero Wave Editor (cuz I use Nero to burn stuff)
    My Option: You can use GarageBand which comes with the Mac, or Audacity which is free. The paid solution is Logic.

Photo editing:
    Currently using on PC: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
    My option: I use Photoshop and Illustrator

Listening to music:
    Currently using on PC: Windows Media Player, iTunes
    Options for Mac: iTunes
    My option: iTunes all the way

Watching movies:
    Currently using on PC: Cyberlink PowerDVD, Windows Media Player, VLC
    My option: built in DVD player

Document Management/Burning Program:
    Currently using on PC: WinZip and WinRar, Nero, Power ISO Virtual Drive Manager
    My options: built in zip utility, also Unarchiver (free, I think) iTunes & Toast for burning

Hope this helps.

12. nstreet16 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should just keep my incoming laptop then? Amazon, just clarified their return policy and said if I refuse shipment, i'll incur a 15% restocking fee which is like $240! Damn. But I have the option of returning it 30D from receiving it but pay for shipping if the box is unopened of course.

What is the best solution to run Windows 7... parallels 5? VMware? Bootcamp? Will there is a terrible lag if I utilize a virtual desktop. If I use bootcamp will I be able to access files from the mac side? If not, what would be my best solution?

Is there a better burning program out there than Roxio? I mean never been a fan whatsoever... If I'm stuck with it, I'm stuck but thought I'd ask.

Is the NVIDIA graphics card in the current base 15in model bad? There are a lot of individuals who seem to complain about NVIDIA... My current dell laptop utilizes ATI Radeon X1400.

13. nstreet16 thread starter macrumors newbie

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me in my pursuit to figure out if the macbook pro (current model) is right for me. I received it, just haven't opened it out of the amazon box.

While, I've been endlessly reading and reading different news stories about Arrandale and what not, I've come to find that I've gotten a larger headache from trying to figure out whats going on with Apple and the next line of MBPs. :(:mad: I hate the fact that I am always checking macrumors for news updates.

A lot of people have been saying, well if you don't need one then wait. I get that. A lot of people have been saying, you'll never be satisfied if you keep waiting for the next new thing. Very true. But what it comes down to is the fact that a person is investing over 1k of their money, which is A LOT:eek:, on a notebook. (Arguably, mainly for a name i guess...)

How would you feel if you spend 1500+ dollars on a notebook and then next month, completely new hardware comes out? You would be pissed because you spent that much only to get an old processor... just think how those iphone people reacted when the price was dropped a month later after they bought it.

So while, yes, I didn't need to write this message; I felt it was owed to everyone who is searching for a notebook. I decided that I will wait because I don't need a new computer immediately and I would be bitter despite the fact I'm doing things on a mac that doesnt require that much power. I want my money's worth and I shall wait. Cuz, basically, think about how many people on here are going insane trying to figure out 1) if they should get one now or later 2) having to answer people's questions about getting one now or later 3) trying to figure it out on their own whats going on... I'm sorry if I had wasted anyone's time in helping me out.

So my advice to buyers:
    if you honestly don't care about processors and what not, then buy it now. But if you're even questioning it and you came here to make your decision, it's obvious you're having doubts and kinda want the new stuff. So wait, its not for sure if it'll come out in January but what you pay now, you can probably get later for the same price. I've come to learn that there aren't major deals on MBPs.