New to Apple PCs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mr.davon24, Mar 9, 2009.

1. mr.davon24 macrumors newbie

Yesterday, I attempted to wirelessly connect to the internet and I am getting " your computer is being managed by The Gaines Family6 ( that's my host computer) ". I thought it was my router so I unhooked everything and started over and still the same thing. Can someone help me?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

We need more info ... what Mac are you using?

3. mr.davon24 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should be able to see the wireless network without a problem, I don't know why the PC is managing it.

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

When you say your Vista machine is the host computer, are you using Internet sharing on the Vista machine? It sounds like that is what is happening. Normally you wouldn't see any message like that when connecting wirelessly. In System Preferences you would just see "Status: Authenticated" with a second line saying something like "Authenticated via PEAP (Inner Protocol: MSCHAPv2) Connect Time: 00:12:39" (if your wireless is set up to require authentication) or just "Status: Connected" if your wireless network isn't authenticated.

6. Bullox macrumors newbie

I think you are attempting to connect to your wireless network with your mac but actually are connecting to your Vista PC.
    If this is the case you should disable your host computer network on the PC and connect to your Netgear Router. Problemo Solvedo?

~Bullox~

7. mr.davon24 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought I was able to connect to someone's router that wasn't password protected.

I do believe I seen that internet sharing message too. I'll check when I get back home.

8. mr.davon24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do see my network and I am even able to put in password. It's when ever I go to safari and nothing pops up but, that message.