New to Apple products and need some help .

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by memko, Aug 11, 2012.

1. memko, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

memko macrumors member

Well, after years of suffering from windows and android crap I decided to jump over to Apple's camp so I ordered my 1st rMBP(256/2.3/8)/new IPad/IPhone 4S
    They will be arriving next week and I've a couple of questions :

1. what accessories should I get for each of my new gadgets??
    2.storage on rMBP might be a problem so I'd like to ask if a USb3 5400 rpm external hard drive can be used to install/store games?? I mean could games be played through usb3 connection? Also to install windows for Vm ware on it ??
    3.I'm pharmacy student and I'd like to ask about applications on OSx iOS that could help me with my study.

your help is much appreciated.

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

You a bought an iPhone 4S... now?!

iPhone: a case, car charger
    iPad: Smart Cover
    rMBP: a case or bag to carry it in

Using an external drive with games is a big no no. I have heard bad stories that they computer doesn't run them well because it isn't on the main drive.

A good iOS app for health information is WebMD.

3. memko thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your concern. :)

4. theluggage macrumors 68030

If you ever give presentations, you'll need a MiniDisplayPort to VGA adapter (until such time as all conference rooms have HDMI-equipped projectors),

The MacBook trackpad is far better than any other laptop pointing device I've seen, but you'll probably want a mouse for games or graphics work. Don't rush out and buy an Apple Magic Mouse unless you've tried one and like it (they look good but after 5 minutes I'd rather gnaw my arm off). Any PC mouse will work (you might have to go to the control panel and enable the second button for context menus).

If you use a digital camera then get the iPad/Phone camera adapter kit - great for uploading and previewing photos on the iPad.

If you have a half-decent TV and a home network then you might want to think about an AppleTV to go with all that iKit - it will let you stream videos, music or the contents of the screen from the iPhone, iPad or Mac to your TV (its pretty much worth the price for that, even if you never use any of the online services it offers).

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

1. I suggest a case / non-glare screen protector for the 4S. Like others have already stated, now wasn't the best time to get the iPhone 4S but if you need it now the alternative is walking around with an inferior phone while you wait for the new iPhone hotness to become available late next month.

2. I suggest an external drive for your MBP. An external drive, with one big partition, can be used for Time Machine backups as well as for data. I also suggest an off site backup like crashplan, carbonite or even dropbox. If your MBP ever gets stolen or has to go back to Apple for repair (very unlikely), I know you'll be so happy your current school papers are sitting on some sort of cloud backup rather than being lost with your MBP.

3. For iPad/iPhone pharmacy apps, you should take a look at epocrates. Hopefully your school will pay the subscription because it's expensive.

6. memko thread starter macrumors member

That was very useful .Thank you :).

Thank you for the precious advice and the great info but as I mentioned above waiting 5 months for the new iPhone to arrive at my country seems harsh compared to having a great iPhone 4s now and using it for the next 5 months . Thanks again for your concern :)

7. emjaymert macrumors member

accesory

For me the most important accessory is a screen protector.

8. twosee, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

twosee macrumors regular

twosee

I agree with many of the posts here. As far as screen protectors, I really like the PowerSupport ones. they are non adhesive (stay on by static cling or something) and they are great quality. I dont use a case because I like the "naked" feel of the phone. I DO however have a Zagg LeatherSkin back protector for scratches.

Camera kit is good, I get plenty of use from my AppleTV for what was mentioned. Streaming, Watching movies I have stored on my PC via iTunes, etc. it really is worth the $99. Not sure if you get Netflix in your country, but the Netflix app is not bad. If you are on campus most of the day and plan on heavy use of the iPhone, you may think about a small portable charger (juice packs) for it. My iPad(3) holds its charge VERY well but the iPhone(4S) could drain my mid day/early evening under heavy use.

As far as apps, the obvious are Pages, Numbers, Keynote. you may find use out of a note taking app for the iPad like Noteshelf or Notebooks. And you could also use DropBox or CloudDrive (or any of the storage services). I like the DropBox app myself.

9. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

10. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I like the Otterbox cases for the iPhone. They come with a screen protector.