New to Apple...Updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Dec 10, 2008.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I am new to the whole Apple scene as I will be switching from a PC to a Macbook Pro in a couple months. I happen to see that Apple releases a lot of updates to their Macbooks. It looks like to me that most of these "updates" can be done by downloading without having to purchase anything. I guess my question would be how do you know if your Macbook is all up-to-date on updates? Does something come up on the screen that prompts you to update or is their a certain website that you need to go to? Thanks

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Go to Apple Menu>System Preferences>Software Update (third row down) to set your preferences.

Software Update itself is the second item in the Apple Menu.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

There is a software updates menu option that you can select to see if there are any updates. Software Updates will also run periodically automatically, informing you if there are any new updates.

4. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Software Update is basically an Application and can be set to check Apple for any updates Daily, Weekly or Monthly. You can also get it to download in the background or just to tell you when updates for YOUR Mac are available. You can also just run it when you wish.

Enjoy your Mac. :)