New to Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oisin01, Sep 23, 2012.

1. oisin01 macrumors newbie

Having migrated from MS with this new Macbook I'm struggling with some of the software:
    1. How do I import address book from MS Outlook Express to my Mail program?

2. How can I lock the menu bar on Safari so that it doesn't disappear when I expand the page?

I'm sure there will be many more queries to follow but if I could deal with these first it would be a start.

Thanks in anticipation.:D

2. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I can't answer Q1, but as to Q2 - you can't lock in the menu, but if you move your cursor up to the very top of the screen and hover where the menu should be it appears, ready to use.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you still have access to the machine that runs MS Outlook Express?
    If so use the instructions in the link below to export the address book in vcard/vcf format. This will load up in Address Book.app ready for use with Mail.app

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175017

B

4. oisin01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt reply. I now have that but on opening Contacts App I can see no controls for importing anything. Surely I don't have to type info in name by name? :eek:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Should be under File -> Import, but you should also just be able to double click on the VCF file you created.

B

6. oisin01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for all the help. I'm getting there... very slowly! As it happens I had a knowledgeable friend call by last night who was able to sort things. But I'll hang on in here as there's sure to be more hiccups along the way. :(