New to Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rmpaul211, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Rmpaul211 macrumors regular

Rmpaul211

I'm looking to buy an apple MBPr or MBA. My use for it will be papers for school and some picture editing. I know I want one with atleast 256 gigs or 512. With 8 gigs of ram. I'm just going in between air or pro. Could anyone help me with this decision

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Once you have upgraded the RAM and the SSD size in the air it is almost the same price as the pro, therefore I say go pro. More importantly the screen in the pro is so much better and worth it all day long.

However for that use case the macbook will probably be your best bet it comes with retina, 8Gb and 256GB SSD as standard, and is just about the thinnest lightest full on laptop around.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree. I don't see the Air as a viable option in today's market with the low resolution screen. So yeah, I'd narrow it down to the Pro or the 12" Macbook.

4. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Here's something I didn't know when getting my first Mac: Apple has a hidden Refurbished section on their online store.

So if you don't care about the latest hardware, you can save yourself some money and still get a machine which looks and works just like a brand new one.

5. Rmpaul211 thread starter macrumors regular

Rmpaul211

Right, that's what I'm thinking. Just go head and get the pro because of the price increase in the air. Now should I go refurbished or brand new? I've read the great warranty has on their refurbished products, and they seem pretty stout. I've seen a lot of 2013 and 2014 refurbs on their websites what's the biggest difference in years? Other than price?

6. Rmpaul211 thread starter macrumors regular

Rmpaul211

I just asked about that lol. I went into the local Apple Store and of course they pushed for me to get brand new. But I have seen great laptops in the refurbished section just wasn't sure about the differences in years

7. Rmpaul211 thread starter macrumors regular

Rmpaul211

Yes I hear you. I'm not tripping about the weight of the laptop. I'm young strapping adult lol. I don't mind carrying the extra weight lol

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The difference in years on the late 2013 vs the 2014 is 200MHz CPU speed, and about $150, thats it.

9. Rmpaul211 thread starter macrumors regular

Rmpaul211

Is that 200mhz a major or minor difference?

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No mate not at all you'd never notice in everyday use. If you are using the computer very intensively the additional overhead might help a bit but for most uses you won't be able to tell.