New to Apple ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Peace, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Sorry if this has been proposed before. Delete as necessary.

It seem like there are a lot of new members joining MacRumors and are also new to the Mac. Would it be useful to have a topic area for MacRumors users new to the Mac to have a set place to go to get info instead of asking questions all over the place ?
    For instance : Under Special Interest a topic area called "New To Mac ? Ask Your Question Here"

Thoughts ?

I take pain medication so excuse the potential stupidity of my first topic start post.:eek:

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

We have http://guides.macrumors.com/

I don't think any new people would browse through there anyway. It's often times easier to reask a question than to research a question unfortunately. Plus some people who aren't new to Apple/Mac still ask "noob" questions.

3. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

I agree with you about the guides section.This is why I made this suggestion.:)

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Isn't that what "Mac Basics and Help" is for?
    After all, the caption for that forum reads, "new to mac? or just need help? post here..."

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I suggest making a forum for those people. The forum should be called "New to Apple".

6. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

I know it says that but one still finds new to Mac threads all over the place.In the hardware section etc..

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

In that case, report the thread to have it moved.

8. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Yes but there could be a lot of them. It would be too much work for the mods.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

How would making a duplicate forum to "Mac Basics and Help" that people also didn't use appropriately be less work though?

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The only problem I can see right now is that the "Mac Basics and Help" forum is currently located under "Hardware," when software questions should be welcome as well - maybe it should be its own category (which would also make it more prominent).

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think the guidelines are rather clear, but if there are a lot of threads that should be in Mac Basics that end up all over the place then maybe the guidelines should be updated to include "Any new Mac users please browse the Mac Basics forum for info on the basic in and outs of your Mac and OS X.

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Perhaps a system could be devised where when you sign up, when you first login you're informed to run searches on the forums and only if you can't find the answer like that to post a thread?

It could just serve as a gentle reminder while the new people find their feet.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There are some other neat features in other forums that will suggest similar threads upon submitting a new thread (and if none of the suggested threads answer your question, then you can confirm your submission).

Is anything like that possible?

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I agree, it's own category would work great.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The "Mac Basics and Help" forum doesn't have an ideal home, and we wanted it near the top of the forum display.

So we've left it under Hardware but set the subtitle to "new to mac, or just need hardware/software help". We hope people notice that it's for both hardware and software questions.