new to apple

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vance09, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. vance09 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2009
    #1
    When i purchased my mac pro 2 weeks ago i ordered it with 2 1 terabyte drives and then i added a 650 for vista 64.
    My question is ,i feel now the main drive may be a bit too large as its mostly used for apps and the OS ,i have started to place photos in a storage folder ,would this be a wise move.
    I would hate to see only about 300 gigs used in the main drive
     
  2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

    ian.maffett

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Location:
    Florida
    #2
    That's all just personal preference. You'll be surprised (likely) at how quickly you find yourself seeking storage. The biggest downfall of a drive that's too large is that when it fail you lose more stuff if you haven't backed it up elsewhere. ...and it will fail, eventually.
     
  3. gugucom macrumors 68020

    gugucom

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    #3
    You would be better off putting the two 1TB drives into a RAID0 array. In fact it would be ideal to partition 10% off the top of each drive for the OS and apps. The other 90% keep in a second partition for mass data storage. Then fuse the two 10% and the two 90% partitions together with the build in software RAID0 feature of disk utility. This way you would get a seriously fast machine with plenty of storage for the future.
     
  4. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2009
    #4
    hard drive useage

    thanks for the good comments,i will consider the raid setup in the near future
     
  5. Tesselator macrumors 601

    Tesselator

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    Location:
    Japan
    #5
    Yep, RAID0... But something to keep in mind is that it's a very wise and prudent policy to never allow any drive or volume that you use to become more than about 50% full. So 300 ~ 500 GB on a 1TB drive is about right anyway! ;)

    I say "that you use" because it's it's not under constant use (like a backup drive that just gets written to once a day) then it almost doesn't apply.
     

Share This Page