New to AT&T? 90-Day Wait for International Calling...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abercrombie, Mar 30, 2009.

1. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

I'm a new subscriber of AT&T services. Anyhow, I called to enable International calling and the first guy said he didn't have the ability so he transferred me. I could tell he was spineless and just didn't want to speak to a frustrated customer so he put me back into the rotation saying "I'll get you to someone that can." The second lady I thought was just making conversation and asked where I normally called. When I said Mexico it must of set off some alarms. I could hear whispering in the background, alarm bells going off and what sounded like high security doors closing. Said I'd have to wait a minimum of 6 months before it can be enabled due to security purposes. At the top of my lungs, I told her that was totally unacceptable. :mad:

Then I got transferred to International Services and they said it's usually a 90 day waiting period but they can make certain exceptions. So she said to wait and I guess they pulled up my credit record and asked me a few questions about my previous employment before getting laid off, my most residence address, my mortgage bank, and what state my social security number was issued? She was even able to pull the name of the guy I socked in the face when I was in 5th grade. Who knew that the "permanent record" now goes on your credit report! WTF?

Anyhow, I guess I got at least most of them right so she let me have the service. Pretty ridiculous. The hoops I go thru just to text a chica on the other side of the border.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's to prevent people who sign up, run up a thousand dollar roaming or long distance bill and don't pay it. I had to go through the same process you did to get international calling before 90 days and I didn't think it was a big deal.