Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I’m new to ATV. I have a ATV 4K. Is the white light in the front supposed to remain on all the time? It’s not blinking. It is just solid white. Is that normal? If not, what do I do?

Thanks

JWort93

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
While the Apple TV is on, that light will stay lit all the time. It does not blink. When it's sleeping it'll turn off though.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Should it be sleeping?
It should if you haven't changed the settings to turn off sleep. There are some apps that will continue to autoplay even if the TV has been turned off, however.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
If it remains solid white and does not go into sleep mode, what do I do ?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If it remains solid white and does not go into sleep mode, what do I do ?

I would check your settings. If you have checked your settings and everything is fine there, then it might be a bug, or something else that is wrong.

Restarts fix all sorts of problems (for most electronics), and a reset might be a good idea.

Considering the device is new, you are still in the warranty period, you can call Apple for help if you can't figure out a solution.
[doublepost=1509030901][/doublepost]
and a reset might be a good idea.

Oh yeah, I meant as a last resort.

Resets are a pain if you have to set everything up again.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I find the supplied remote very hard to use. How Can I easily check sleep settings?

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
You can force it to sleep by holding the top right button (looks like a TV), then when prompted, select sleep. To Wake it, press the same TV button and it will come back to life.

The sleep setting in General Settings will automatically put it in sleep mode if nothing is actively streaming content. If you turn it off, the white light will remain lit unless\until you force it to sleep.

Flashing white light generally means updates are being applied. If you press and hold Menu + TV for a few seconds, it will reboot, the white light will flash.

Whenever it is active, white light will remain lit. Perfectly normal.

Reactions: MacManiac76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.