New to Bootcamp. I would love some advice..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Edwardz, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

Hello

I used to only run windows when I was earlier in my teens. Windows was my pain gaming console. I very much miss the computer game part of it, but, I am not missing the windows part of it at all. However, I would like to put a version of windows onto my MacBook Pro. Here are a few questions I would love to be answered:

1) What version of Windows should I get? I hear such hideous things about Vista, but it does look kind of nice. Should I stay safe and just put XP Pro or should I upgrade to Vista?
    2) How should I partition (if that is the correct word) my hard-drive to get the minimalist GB of windows on my main hard-drive? I don't really want to have windows on my main hard-drive, but I know I need some space on it, correct? I have an external HD of 320 GB, so space is not an issue.

Thanks [:

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Most people will say XP is better, and it uses less resources (i.e. memory).

You can run XP or Vista on your external drive, and I would say you would want at least 10-15 GB for XP or Vista.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

SVT Amateur if you have successfully installed xp on a external drive & can boot from it could you post a how to,these members would probably like to know also

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=191777&highlight=booting+from+external

4. nikopolidis macrumors regular

Use XP and enjoy it! Don't be tempted by the new and doubtful Vista! :)