New to Bootcamp Need help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ant2369, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Ant2369 macrumors member

Ant2369

I'm trying to install Windows 7 onto my new iMac and its giving me an error. im brand new to bootcamp can anyone help please

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
    Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

I've verified in Disk Utility it is already formatted that way..

thanks for any help

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's a common problem unfortunately. See an older thread about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=191729

How full is your disk currently?

You could try to partition and install manually when booted from another boot device. Do you have an external HDD or your OS X install DVD?

B

3. Ant2369 thread starter macrumors member

Ant2369

my disk is almost totally empty 1tb fusion drive with maybe 150gig used its a brand new iMac barley 2 days old the only thing i did was restore from a time machine backup of my previous computer a mid 2010 macbook pro could that be causing it? i saw on another post about using disk utility and doing erase free space

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

NOTE: I have no experience with Fusion drive and haven't been keeping up to date with any changes that might entail.

You really want to resize the partitions when nothing else is running, because open files tend to lead to this particular error. This is why running disk utility to resize the partition when booted from another device sometimes works when it doesn't if you are booted to the drive you want to resize.

B