New to Collecting, Questions Abound

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by dsnort, Jan 29, 2008.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I am interested in starting to collect a few of Apples older models. I am new to Apple, 2 years, so I'm not real familiar with the way some of the older stuff works.

I am currently eyeing an iBook Clamshell, ( I just love the look of those things). The one I'm looking at has OS 9 installed, but no discs. Is there somewhere to get discs for older Apple OS's? I would also be interested in doing a dual boot with OS X, will a clamshell run Tiger? I see many with 10.3.9 Panther installed, can you get a copy of that?

Thanks for the help.

2. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

C'mon mac fanatics, I know ya'll are out there!

3. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

*sigh*

I'm so looooonesome, IIIIIIII could cry!!!!!!

4. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

If you're into the olders stuff go to 68kmla.org. And yes clamshells will at least run 10.3 panther and the ones with firewire will run tiger.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

6. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

7. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Hey, for future questions and references you might want to download an awesome free program called Mactracker, it lists every Mac model (or damn well close) with a ton of information, including highest OS Possible.

8. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If you can get hold of an old Apple Mac running A/UX you are a better man than me. A/UX was Apples first attempt at combining Mac OS with Unix and ran System 7 and and a Unix derivative.

10. RacerX macrumors 65832

Is A/UX getting that hard to find? Or is it getting that hard to find 68030/68040 systems to run it on?

I know that A/UX 1.0 and 2.0 are more difficult to find than 3.x.x because of how Apple distributed those earlier versions (Apple sent you a hard drive with A/UX pre-installed in most cases for the earlier versions), but version 3 was mainly distributed via CD-ROM as I recall.

:rolleyes:

Not that there were a ton of copies floating around though... a single user license was about $800 (which was about the average price of most Unix base operating systems back then).

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No idea how hard really. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places. eBay is not showing anything, nor has it for a fair while. Plus I live in the UK so it is even harder. I don't think A/UX made much of an impact over here.

Still I'll keep hunting when I have the time :).

12. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Hey i was interested in A/UX as well last year since it seems to be dying. I got it installed on an old IIci of mine with a lot of trickery from install discs i downloaded. Don't bother with ebay unless u want the real discs etc. I got my stuff at a great KDX server called higher intellect. It specializes in old apple II and mac OSes and software. They have all versions of A/UX but I would only install 3.x

Here are some pics of my setup. I have a 10BT networking card in there that actually works and connects to my AppleTalk network.

Attached Files: