New to Consoles. Need help on alternative controllers

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by akutad, Dec 30, 2009.

1. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

I'm currently considering purchasing a gaming console. Not sure on with of the three. I've never had one even as a kid. I've always played computer games. However the disadvantage with playing computer games on a mac is the lack of new recent/current games on a mac. Furthermore I would need to upgrade my computer which will cost more than $300 vs purchasing a gaming console.

My single greatest reservation on getting one is the controller. I feel goofy in using it. Is there a way to hook up a mouse and keyboard to a gaming console. If so which console. I'm considering a sony playstaion as I don't have a blue-ray player yet and this will take care of that and/or a wii for the kids. Xbox maybe a possibility as a blueray player can now be picked up for around $100.

I currently play COD4,Battlefield 2142 and Las Vegas 2. I really am used to the keyboard and mouse controller and was wondering if I can somehow make that work. I do have a usb and bluetooth keyboard if that helps.

What is your advise.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm sorry to tell you but with the exception of the PS3 none of the current gen consoles support mouse/keyboard. The PS3 supports it but theres only one game that takes advantage of the feature...there is an alternative though..

http://www.splitfish.com/

I haven't tried it out but I heard its the closet thing you're going to get on consoles.

Bless

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, watch out. I bought my first console FPS game earlier this year (Bioshock) and just got MW2 for Christmas. If you've used a keyboard and mouse for long it's very hard to take a step back to controllers.

UT3 on the PS3 supports keyboard and mouse but that's pretty much it.

You can get similar precision to a mouse with the Wii but you can't access as many buttons/keys as playing with a keyboard.