Hey all. I have a few questions. In addition to kayaking, I've decided to become more active. I've purchased a new bike (Schwinn Trailway Hybrid, Men's 28") and I really don't know anything about them. Below are a few (probably elementary) questions I have.
- Are there general rules for shifting? I know you obviously need to be pedaling, it depends on terrain and what 'feels right', and I can tell that the front gear changes are more drastic than the back... is that all there is to know?
- What's the ideal position height for the bars and seat? It feels fine, I guess, but I really don't know what's normal. And I don't mean exact position in height, I mean relative to the body, are there any general rules?
- I've read briefly about the derailleur. What exactly does it do? How will I know if it needs adjusting?
- The recommended PSI for my tires are 50-75; I've filled them to 60 and they seem pretty rock solid, is it okay to keep going? I know I probably shouldn't max them out but with a range like that I'd expect them to be able to handle 65-70.
- Beside checking tire pressure and ensure everything is tight, is there general maintenance I should perform?
- Any other information for a new biker that you think would be beneficial is greatly appreciated!