new to digitally recording/making music

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by hoefler, Nov 26, 2010.

1. hoefler macrumors member

Hi everyone i'm hoping to get some help/tips from you guys.

I'm pretty much new to Mac and its my plan to start recording and making my music digital.

I never actually made music digitally, i played in a few bands but always using the classic instruments, i'm a drummer and guitar player but now sincde i have a mac pro 6 core 3.33GHz i would like to start exploring in making some music on the computer and record it.

I have a Roland Synthesizer XP80 and like to connect this to the computer but i have no idea on where to start or what software to get, could you guys recomand something.

also do i need to have like some special sound card or will the one that comes with the MP comes do good for now. i hear allot about problems with latency.

anny help will be appreciated.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have a Roland Synthesizer XP80 and like to connect this to the computer but i have no idea on where to start or what software to get, could you guys recomand something."

What kind of outputs does the Roland have?

For recording acoustic instruments you'd want an audio interface giving you XLR, MIDI, line-in, and perhaps digital-in (SPDIF) inputs.

Since you have a Mac Pro, I STRONGLY suggest that whatever interface you buy be firewire and NOT USB. Especially where latency is concerned, Firewire will minimize this and is the way to go.

There are MANY audio interfaces "out there". I find that Echo products offer a very good blend of features/quality at reasonable prices.
    I suggest you take a look at the following Echo products:
    - AudioFire4
    - AudioFire8Pre (newer version of AudioFire8, with 8 XLRs in - extra XLR inputs might come in very handy for mic'ing a drum set)
    - AudioFire8 (now a discontinued product, but still a good package)

You'll also need digital audio workstation (DAW) software.

If you have access to Apple's "GarageBand", it's a good piece of software to start with.

Most Mac audio guys will automatically reply "Logic" when asked what software to get, but I "think different" about that.

I'd recommend Steinberg's "Cubase Essentials" as the "best blend" between power and usability, particularly for someone starting out. Power-wise, CE falls in-between the more expensive "full version" of Cubase (up to version 5 now, I believe) and the free version called "CubaseLE 4" (which comes "bundled in" with some audio interfaces).

You can get Cubase Essential for $150 or so. I've seen the "student version" (exactly the same as the "regular" version) for $99 or so on ebay, not sure if there would be problems for a non-student buying it (I think not).

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Is this still the case? A lot of mid- and high-end equipment uses USB these days.