New to DSLR photography quick ??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Soura2112, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Can anyone suggest a good book or website to help a newbie when it comes to Aperture 2.0 and mainly DSLR cameras. My camera came with a video I have yet to watch, so I know that will help. I own Aperture 2.0 and Photoshop CS2, though I would like to get Lightroom when I get better.
    Anyway, I am new to this, I come from a videographer and video editor background. I am trying to just learn the basics, I never read a "dummies" book, but this may be a good time. I have seen DSLR and Aperture books in Borders and I browse through them but I am looking for something basic to just get my feet wet. So far I have taken a lot of pictures to mess with though it's time to step it up a bit.
    Typically I just learn stuff on my own, but I already found out I can't figure this one out like that. Way different then Final Cut (well most of it, lol)
    Thanks in advance!
    Brent

2. GotMyOrangeCrus macrumors regular

Believe it or not but those dummy books can be really helpful for getting a basic understanding of something. They usually cut through all of the BS and focus on the most important things you need to know when getting started.

3. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Aperture, Photoshop, Lightroom... If you're trying to tackle any of these pro applications from a standing start, I'm not surprised you're confused.

Maybe iPhoto would provide an easier learning curve, as you're new to DSLRs too... :)

4. uMac macrumors 6502

If your a Dummy...

Those Dummy books are helpful if you need to start from scratch.

Also another Suggestion is find someone (online or in person) who has a similar camera to yours. They may be able to give advice.

As for a webiste --> www.flickr.com
    Flickr is all about photographers and there are groups out there for every camera, make and model. You can join for free and start asking questions.

5. 103734 Guest

I wouldn't try to tackle everything once, your only going to overwhelm yourself, I would learn how to use the camera until im comfortable messing with the settings, then move on the the software.

PS: what camera are you shooting with?

6. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yeah, start slowly and what's up with I own Aperture and would like to own Lightroom in the future? Both softwares is essentially made for the same purpose.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why Aperture and Lightroom? The two of these really can't be used together. They do the same job. Pick one. Either will integrate well with any version of Photoshop.

I always tell people to start with iPhoto and only move to Aperture after they can identify a good reason to use it. iPhoto does most of what everyone needs. You might that. You don't want to have to learn to much all at once. Learn photography with yor camera first then after it is no longer new move on to learning the next thing. Photography is not abut software

If you know Video camera SLRs are not a lot different. Both have f-stops, white balance, shutters and so on.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I just got these two from Amazon.com
    Understanding Exposure http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0817463003
    Apple Aperture 2 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240520394

Both seem really good so far and the Aperture 2 book lets you know in general some short comings (I don't know these since I'm still new to Aperture) that other Aperture books don't mention if that will help down the road.
    I bought these after looking through the forum here and these seem to be the most recommended books with very good feedback.
    Good luck and hope this helps :)

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

For Aperture, Apple actually has some pretty good tutorials online.
    http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just google "beginning DSLR photography" or something and hundreds of guides will pop up. All you'll really need is a good understanding of aperture vs exposure to start with.

11. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Forget Aperture, Lightroom or CS2. Those do not help you take pictures. Learn your camera, aperture (the size of the lens opening, not the program), shutter speed, ISO, exposure, etc. first. Bryan Peterson's book on exposure at amazon.com is a usual place to start. The dummies books might help. But concentrate on books about take pictures first. You can learn about post-production tools later.

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes they do :D I also had wanted a copy of some info while working with Aperture and not taking notes or using the F10 switching mode per say. I would also plug Lynda.com or any other video service for that matter that offers tutorials for those who learn better in the visual realm ;)

13. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea when I first got Aperture I referred almost exclusively to the online tutorials.
    Just like anything tho, if you mess around with it enough you will get the hang of it. Aperture isnt really that difficult.