Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Can anyone suggest a good book or website to help a newbie when it comes to Aperture 2.0 and mainly DSLR cameras. My camera came with a video I have yet to watch, so I know that will help. I own Aperture 2.0 and Photoshop CS2, though I would like to get Lightroom when I get better.
Anyway, I am new to this, I come from a videographer and video editor background. I am trying to just learn the basics, I never read a "dummies" book, but this may be a good time. I have seen DSLR and Aperture books in Borders and I browse through them but I am looking for something basic to just get my feet wet. So far I have taken a lot of pictures to mess with though it's time to step it up a bit.
Typically I just learn stuff on my own, but I already found out I can't figure this one out like that. Way different then Final Cut (well most of it, lol)
Thanks in advance!
Brent

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Aperture, Photoshop, Lightroom... If you're trying to tackle any of these pro applications from a standing start, I'm not surprised you're confused.

Maybe iPhoto would provide an easier learning curve, as you're new to DSLRs too... :)

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
If your a Dummy...

Those Dummy books are helpful if you need to start from scratch.

Also another Suggestion is find someone (online or in person) who has a similar camera to yours. They may be able to give advice.

As for a webiste --> http://www.flickr.com
Flickr is all about photographers and there are groups out there for every camera, make and model. You can join for free and start asking questions.

Apr 10, 2007
I wouldn't try to tackle everything once, your only going to overwhelm yourself, I would learn how to use the camera until im comfortable messing with the settings, then move on the the software.

PS: what camera are you shooting with?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, start slowly and what's up with I own Aperture and would like to own Lightroom in the future? Both softwares is essentially made for the same purpose.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Can anyone suggest a good book or website to help a newbie when it comes to Aperture 2.0 and mainly DSLR cameras. My camera came with a video I have yet to watch, so I know that will help. I own Aperture 2.0 and Photoshop CS2, though I would like to get Lightroom when I get better.
Anyway, I am new to this, I come from a videographer and video editor background. I am trying to just learn the basics, I never read a "dummies" book, but this may be a good time. I have seen DSLR and Aperture books in Borders and I browse through them but I am looking for something basic to just get my feet wet. So far I have taken a lot of pictures to mess with though it's time to step it up a bit.
Typically I just learn stuff on my own, but I already found out I can't figure this one out like that. Way different then Final Cut (well most of it, lol)
Thanks in advance!
Brent

Why Aperture and Lightroom? The two of these really can't be used together. They do the same job. Pick one. Either will integrate well with any version of Photoshop.

I always tell people to start with iPhoto and only move to Aperture after they can identify a good reason to use it. iPhoto does most of what everyone needs. You might that. You don't want to have to learn to much all at once. Learn photography with yor camera first then after it is no longer new move on to learning the next thing. Photography is not abut software

If you know Video camera SLRs are not a lot different. Both have f-stops, white balance, shutters and so on.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I just got these two from Amazon.com
Understanding Exposure http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0817463003
Apple Aperture 2 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240520394

Both seem really good so far and the Aperture 2 book lets you know in general some short comings (I don't know these since I'm still new to Aperture) that other Aperture books don't mention if that will help down the road.
I bought these after looking through the forum here and these seem to be the most recommended books with very good feedback.
Good luck and hope this helps :)

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I just got these two from Amazon.com
Understanding Exposure http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0817463003
Apple Aperture 2 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240520394

Both seem really good so far and the Aperture 2 book lets you know in general some short comings (I don't know these since I'm still new to Aperture) that other Aperture books don't mention if that will help down the road.
I bought these after looking through the forum here and these seem to be the most recommended books with very good feedback.
Good luck and hope this helps :)

For Aperture, Apple actually has some pretty good tutorials online.
http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Thanks in advance!
Brent

Forget Aperture, Lightroom or CS2. Those do not help you take pictures. Learn your camera, aperture (the size of the lens opening, not the program), shutter speed, ISO, exposure, etc. first. Bryan Peterson's book on exposure at amazon.com is a usual place to start. The dummies books might help. But concentrate on books about take pictures first. You can learn about post-production tools later.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
For Aperture, Apple actually has some pretty good tutorials online.
http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

Yes they do :D I also had wanted a copy of some info while working with Aperture and not taking notes or using the F10 switching mode per say. I would also plug Lynda.com or any other video service for that matter that offers tutorials for those who learn better in the visual realm ;)

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Yes they do :D I also had wanted a copy of some info while working with Aperture and not taking notes or using the F10 switching mode per say. I would also plug Lynda.com or any other video service for that matter that offers tutorials for those who learn better in the visual realm ;)

Yea when I first got Aperture I referred almost exclusively to the online tutorials.
Just like anything tho, if you mess around with it enough you will get the hang of it. Aperture isnt really that difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.