New to Dual-Band routers. Help please.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, May 19, 2011.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I must say that I am quite computer savvy but I don't really know much about networking. I picked up a new dual-band after my modem exploded and fried the ethernet port on my old router (AND THE ONE ON MY i5 iMAC! :mad: ) and don't know much about it.

I've read that 5GHz is better for streaming music and such and so I have my iMac and Apple TV connected to the 5GHz band. Are those facts true or no? Also, I've found that since it's technically a seperate SSID that my iPhone won't be able to interact with the Apple TV.

Can you explain the differences to me and advise me if I should just connect everything to the 2.4 band. Thanks.

-Dale

PS. For what it's worth, this is the router I picked up (only $70 at Walmart).

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5 GHz will likely be faster than 2.4 GHz, and since it's less widely used than 2.4 GHz, less likely to have problems with interference from nearby routers or other devices.

That said, if your old router was only 2.4 GHz and it worked well for you, there's no reason you can't use 2.4 GHz for everything on the new one.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Thanks, Yeah I'm pretty much getting hard-wire speeds over 5GHz which is awesome but I like using my iPhone with my Apple TV and my phone is the only device that I've found doesn't support it (haven't checked my PS3)... I'd love to stick with it but I guess I'll have to change because of my iPhone.