new to external display with 2010 macbookpro laptop, some questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

will my windows xp & windows 7 virtual machines that I run via paralells 5.0 work with an apple cinema display? & is there a procedure for using my 2010 macbook pro in clamshell mode or side by side with laptop open be any different than using it in mac os?

I read that windows xp does not work with a cinema display & that there is something called winACD that helps it work. Will the display work with windows 7?

Also, I have been linked to & read about Apple notebook batteries, for calibrating & how Apple recommends not having the laptop plugged into Ac all the time, but run it off battery every other day or so to about 50%

how would this work with using my macbook pro with an external display? where I read that to use with external display, it should be plugged into the AC power. Does this mean I would have to disconnect from the display every few days to run off the battery as per Apple notebook battery maintenance? how would I use the display & still properly maintain my laptop battery?

with my situation/current set up, would it be best to use clamshell mode? or just use my laptop open alongside my monitor like dual displays?

One thing I have to work with is a somewhat limited desktop space.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.
    See above.
    Either is fine.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you have the computer open, you should be able to run it off the battery with the display still attached, it just won't work in clamshell mode.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

In parallels it doesn't see the display directly, it is a virtual display. It will work fine. Using it in native windows is different. It will be no different in clamshell or open mode.

Unnecessary for Parallels.

Unplug the MAC not the display.

Don't touch the display, it does not give AC power to the laptop, thus you can remain plugged into the display and the display plugged into power. Just unplug the laptop.

Yes, you're best bet is to have both running, it just makes you have mode desktop space. BUT if absolutely strapped for space, use clamshell mode and put the laptop in front of the monitor or behind it. I use mine alongside the display for dual displays; but I also use the laptop keyboard instead of an external one; I see no need for an external keyboard.