New To External Hard Drives *PLEASE HELP*

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ssgoku3486, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ssgoku3486 macrumors newbie

I just "built" an external hard drive. I read that it was better to build one on the forums here. It's 750gb (only about 700gb is usable) seagate in an icy dock external enclosure. I will be getting a new 15" MBP and I would like to use the external for both time machine and as extra storage. Does this mean I have to partition the external hard drive? If I do, do people have suggestions as to what the ratio should be? For example, 200gb to extra storage and 500gb for time machine. The extra storage is mostly just for movies and music as well as misc. old documents that I have but am unwilling to part with. It's the inner pack rat in me.

Also, for bootcamp, what is the general amount of hard drive space people allocate to Windows? I would only really want to use it to play video games. So if any of you experienced users can give me advice as what the "sweet spot" is in terms of partitioning the laptops hard drive for bootcamp, that would be awesome. Sorry for all these bothersome questions but I've been stuck on Mac OS 10.3.9 on my 3 going on 4 year old 12" powerbook for a few years now. I just want to make sure I get things right.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

You can use the same partition for Time Machine and general storage so don't worry about that.

As far as boot camp partitions go - it all depends on how much you want to store on it. You need 10 to 20GB pratically speaking but if you are going to play some big games or use any serious apps you might need more than that.

3. ssgoku3486 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks steveza. I can partition my MBP drive anytime, correct? I won't be able to get a copy of windows until later. Thanks for the help.