new to fcpX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andylaiphoto, Mar 28, 2016.

1. andylaiphoto macrumors member

What is the update/upgrade cycle on this app?
    When they do release a major update/upgrade is it usually free for those that previously purchased or is it a paid update/upgrade every version?

Thanks.

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I'm new, too. I just went ahead and bought it without the trial along with Motion and Compressor and have done one video so far.

All updates since release in 2011 have been free. I so wish I had done this earlier. It's painful to think what I've paid Adobe in that time.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

Agreed with LiveM, but still stuck in the Adobe CC year-long trap until early next year. I've read much negative ranking on FCPX but I'm so frickin' thrilled with the app I popped for Motion and Mainstage as well, with the latter being the best $30 I've spent on software.

A tip? I bought some discounted iTS gift cards from Staples and eBay (I see the ad notifications on 9to5Mac's website), snagging some 20% and 25% discounts. Bought FCPX and it was like getting Motion for "free" as I was planning on buying FCPX anyways. Cheers!

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I was also kicking myself about signing up for another year before Christmas, but I cancelled my Adobe subscription without penalty after the latest security issue a few weeks ago.

5. Unami macrumors 6502a

i'm happy to pay adobe their monthly €62 for photoshop, illustrator, after effects, encore cs6, audition, their really fast media encoder, muse and the occasional but buggy premiere edit - still, fcpx is my nle of choice.