Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andylaiphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
What is the update/upgrade cycle on this app?
When they do release a major update/upgrade is it usually free for those that previously purchased or is it a paid update/upgrade every version?

Thanks.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I'm new, too. I just went ahead and bought it without the trial along with Motion and Compressor and have done one video so far.

All updates since release in 2011 have been free. I so wish I had done this earlier. It's painful to think what I've paid Adobe in that time.

Reactions: andylaiphoto

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Agreed with LiveM, but still stuck in the Adobe CC year-long trap until early next year. I've read much negative ranking on FCPX but I'm so frickin' thrilled with the app I popped for Motion and Mainstage as well, with the latter being the best $30 I've spent on software.

A tip? I bought some discounted iTS gift cards from Staples and eBay (I see the ad notifications on 9to5Mac's website), snagging some 20% and 25% discounts. Bought FCPX and it was like getting Motion for "free" as I was planning on buying FCPX anyways. Cheers!

Reactions: andylaiphoto

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I was also kicking myself about signing up for another year before Christmas, but I cancelled my Adobe subscription without penalty after the latest security issue a few weeks ago.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
i'm happy to pay adobe their monthly €62 for photoshop, illustrator, after effects, encore cs6, audition, their really fast media encoder, muse and the occasional but buggy premiere edit - still, fcpx is my nle of choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.