new to fios. help please.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benlee, Jul 17, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I just signed up for verizon fios internet and tv. I am wondering how I would go about continuing to use my airport express along with the supplied wireless router so that i can still use airtunes. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have this set up and can lead you through my setup if you want.

The key things you need to do is:

Turn of Actiontec's wireless
    Set up the Apple Extreme as a Wireless Access Point, not a router (i.e. disable the WAN port.)
    Pick which box will be your DHCP server.

B

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

first of all, thanks for your reply.

if i turn off the wireless on the actiontec wont the cable not work. as it relies on it. also how can i use it as an access point if the wireless from the actiontec is turned off. Could you please be a little more specific i would really appreciate it. also just to verify i have a express not the extreme. please help.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ah. misread a bit.

The Actiontec supplied by Verizon is pretty decent as a router and all the key features can be turned off, including wireless. However, it doesn't support WDS, so the Airport Express cannot be used as a range extender with it.

You have a couple of choices.

1) Add a WAP that does support compatible WDS (like the Airport Extreme or another Express).
    2) Use the Express in client mode only, to support USB printers and AirTunes.

What do you want to use the Express for?

B

5. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I want to use it for airtunes that two computers have access to. ARe these setup options in airport utility?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Can you not use their router at all (i.e. replace it with something else), or is their router used for other things besides just Internet access?

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I believe they run the coax to the TV from there also.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They register the MAC address of the supplied router to your service, though it seems to depend on individual Verizon regions what they'll do if you suddenly show up with a new MAC address.

They don't actually run the coax to the TV from the router, but they can do the opposite. The router can make use of the coax in your house instead of having to run Cat5. The data/TV/voice services are split off at the box that typically stays in the garage.

B

10. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

yes from what they told me you can use any router for internet. but when you have tv too then you need to use their router.

Do you all suggest to just use it as a client. I'm in a small apartment so dont really need range extender. they will be right next to each other. any pros/cons. Thanks

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hmm. I wonder if it's the same kid of install like I have or not.

In my case, I have fiber coming in to the demarc (in the garage) and a battery backup UPS and optical coder/decoder that provides three separate spigots: Ethernet, TV, POTS voice. That doesn't seem too compatible with a small apt.

The router gets its WAN from either the Ethernet port or coax and serves both Ethernet and wireless.

The TV would go over the coax to their provided cable box or DVR, but would not require the router.

All in all this makes me wonder the your router is different than mine...

B

12. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Well I couldn't tell you because i have not had it installed yet. I'm just anticipating what's to come and what they told me on the phone. Maybe the router isnt needed. I'm going to have many questions for the installer(s).

13. kenmullen macrumors newbie

Airport Express for airTunes on FIOS

Hello. i have tried to implement a solution that I found here...to no avail. Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

I have FIOS (with the included wireless router). I have an Airport Express to be used for airTunes only connected to my home stereo.

I have tried to connect using "Client" mode (not extending the network).

I can not get the AEBS to connect to the (FIOS) wireless network.

Is this not possible?

Thanks, Ken

14. Info Junkie macrumors newbie

AEBS and Verizon FIOS

Setting up specifically for Airtunes, is something I am unsure about. Setting up an AEBS with FIOS, I figured out after spending way too much time following bad online instructions. I hope the following helps you out... I think it "might" because once you get the AEBS working with FIOS, I believe the rest of what you want to do will be straight-forward... if I am wrong I apologize in advance...

Whatever you do - do not follow the complicated and non-functioning instructions for turning your FIOS router into a bridge (they're all over the Internet, as are complaints... perhaps once valid, now they are outdated - don't touch your verizon Actiontec router's settings). As I suspect many have done, I followed one set of instructions only to have wasted over 1.5 hours. You see the problem is that once you follow those instructions the "default" settings cannot just be re-initialized without problem (I wish someone else would have told me this!). You end up having to contact Verizon for them to release and renew your DHCP lease for you. A huge pain in the butt. The reality is that in this snapshot in time all you need to do is literally plug your AEBS into one of the ActionTec LAN ports, configure your AEBS to work as though it is on a LAN and Bridged (the questions to answer as you go through the wizard are fairly obvious keeping those two things in mind), and you're good to go after then just turning off the wireless signal on your Actiontec.

Other lessons learned are that
    1) sometimes upon changing AEBS settings in the utility program (such as channel to use) the router disappears from view. All you need to do is push the pin-button for 1 second (no longer or you'll lose your settings) and it soft-reboots which then makes it appear. Someone else figured this out for me but I figured I'd post it here... seems that the manual soft boot does something important to bring the AEBS back online.
    2) perhaps obvious, but for whatever reason I had a senior moment about it, you need to realize the WEP password you create for the AEBS is case-sensitive. I couldn't get one of my 2 PCs to connect, and spent an embarrassing amount of time virtually getting Cisco certified in network knowledge only to realize I hadn't considered case-sensitivity of the password.

15. jchiar macrumors newbie

Did you get this working? Did you try to just plug in the apple extreme into the ethernet ports instead of using the coax?( and obviously turning off the router..)

16. leanbean macrumors newbie

same problem, solution very simple

On the airport express setup as - join network - I added a $ in front of the verizon fios router password. works fine now.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2098

this was driving me crazy.

-l