New to Folder Actions, Automator, and Scripts.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i.shaun, Jul 6, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I've had my iMac for roughly a year now. It is a slightly older version with 1GB Ram, 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 150GB Internal HDD, OS X Tiger 10.4

Anyway, Over time, I customized the poop out of my mac, and almost fully eliminated my Microsoft Windows dependancies, and will continue to make it better as time goes on.

A few things I notice in the title, but never really tried out, are Folder Actions, Automator, and Apple Scripts. I do not know how to use such things, or what they are for exactly.

Can someone give a brief explanation on each one, and possible advantages they hold? Maybe it's something I would enjoy a lot, I figure I shouldn't continue to overlook them.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you searched the forums to see what's already been posted about these? Have you searched support.apple.com to get info there? Have you gone through Mac 101 to get oriented? Have you Googled each to see what kind of free web tutorials there are out there? There's a wealth of information out there, if you're willing to look for it. For example:

Folder Actions
    Automator
    AppleScript

3. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

wow, that's a lot of info.

I will have to get going on those. I like the Automator creating iCal events for me, i'm used to copying the same thing over and over manually.

4. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I've saved mac 101, Mroogle, and the other sites for Reference, thanks.