New to folding/OSX problems

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Dagless, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've just started all this. I've joined the MR team with the same username I have here. That's all honky dory. But-

I cannot get my PowerBook or the OSX side of my C2D iMac to work.
    The PowerBook just doesn't progress past "Completed 0 out of 5000000 steps", and the intel build for my iMac just doesn't work, the graphic is broke. I suspect that isn't folding either.

However the Windows XP side works like a charm. Though it's only using 50% of my CPU. Does this mean it's only using 1 core? How do I get it using 2?

At the moment it's taking about 12 hours or so to do 1 WU. With my PowerBook and the other core kicking in I could rack up some better figures :)

So let me end this with a cry for "help!", thank you!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm no folding pro but I'll try to help ya.

For your iMac I believe you want the SMD client for Windows and for OS X. I know for me the first time I install and run it it tends to not get a work unit for a while. After that everything seems to work okay. Maybe just let it sit overnight and see if it's working? Also I tend to have to reboot after the first install. No idea why but that's what got it going for me. Although maybe it works fine without.

I would recommend reading the SMP FAQ also if you haven't already.

Not sure about your Powerbook. I'm assuming you have the PPC client downloaded.